1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil leak

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by 206fishman, Oct 14, 2009.

1. 206fishman

206fishman New Member

Hi I'm new and I'm still getting used to how all this works, so here goes... I appear to have an oil leak that cones from the back top of the engine. I think I narrowed it to the dist. Gasket but am unsure. It doesn't apear to leak until I drive it not just idling. I didn't see anything wrong with the gasket so I added another gasket thinking it was because of the holddown clamp. Just want to know what else could be leaking from top-back of a 350 engine spilling down onto passenger collected header? Am about to start it up:no:
  2. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site! I'm not sure but, did you clean around where you think it is leaking and drive it for a while and check it again to see if it was leaking from there? If not there, it might be leaking at the top of the valve cover. Hope this helps. Good Luck.:neutral:
  3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site! If you would fill out the "Signature" section of the User CP, everyone will know more about what you drive and might be able to give some help easier. I know that I had a '96 Chevy w/350R V8 and it had a leak at the back of the motor @ the gasket between the intake manifold and block. Ofcourse it was a coolant leak. About a month after repairing that leak, the water pump died! Good luck!
  4. GMPartsClub

GMPartsClub Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts GMTC Sponsor

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  5. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  6. 206fishman

206fishman New Member

Thanks for welcoming me! I have already changed the valve cover gaskets and have just changed the distributor seal, we started it up and it was running but the cap was clicking, so I reseated the cap and now it won't start as where it started fine before any suggestions?
  7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome. Sounds like you broke your rotor. Take the cap off and you will probably see damage. As for your laek it may be the intake manifold gasket look real close with a mirror. If you still can't see it clean it with brake cleen and then spray it with foot powder. Now you will see it for sure.
  8. 1ATony

1ATony Rockstar GMTC Sponsor 100 Posts

Welcome to the site
  9. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!