1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by makthenif, Oct 29, 2007.

1. makthenif

makthenif Member

I am trying to diagnose a pesky oil leak. Not in large in amounts. Just wondering if anyone out there had a list of "usual suspects". I did a visual under the truck and could not pick out anything. There is nothing visual from under the hood. I changed the PVC. Thanks.
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Try putting cardboard under the truck to help you with where to start looking. That way you can tell if it is coming from either the front, back, left or right side of the engine. Steam cleaning the engine to get any grime off so that you can get a visual on the source. Rear main seal and intake seals are common place leaks.
  3. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Rear main, front main, oil filter, valve cover, oil cooler, oil cooler lines, trans cooling lines, trans front seal, rear seal, axel seals frt and rear, transfer case frt and rear.

Without just a little bit more info on just where it is coming from it is very difficult to even venture a guess.

As Unplugged said park the truck, put some cardboard under her and see if you can give us just a little more info.

Even better, get the thing on a lift for a free inspection at one of the local shops. Most of the chains will give you a free safety inspection, tires, brakes and the like. When it’s up there tell them you have a pesky oil leak.

Sorry we can’t be of more help.