1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil Life Monitor System Problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by tlperry68, Dec 6, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The dealer changed my oil 2 months ago. After about 3000 miles or so the system indicated it was due for another oil change. I thought that to be prety low but changed it myself last weekend. I reset the system and have driven about 300 miles. Now the monitor system says I'm at 90% life remaining. The manual says I shouls get about 9000 miles between changes or a little less depending on how I drive. My neighbor is the local maintanence director for the GMC dealership. Even he hasn't heard of that. Any ideas?
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Mine does that as well. Must be a diesel thing.
  3. sweetdawg99

sweetdawg99 New Member

so for the initial oil that the vehicle had when you got it how many miles did it say you were good for?
  4. EagleTalons

EagleTalons New Member 100 Posts

Diesel oil should be changed more frequently than gasoline powered vehicles. There are way more particles that can get into the oil system and split those molecules. Treat your engine right.
  5. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The system was telling me to change the oil at 9000 mile intervals. The dealer recomends 5K to 7K between changes. Not the system is sying that I need a change at 3K miles. Something is not right. I have 23000 miles as of today.
  6. JMoney02

JMoney02 New Member 100 Posts

It has to be for Deisel, I have not had this issue with the Gas 5.3l engine and my oil changes. There was another post about this issue just recently? Sometimes I believe with some of this technology(Idiot Lights) it just keeps people from thinking for themselves, no disrepect made towards this post, a statement in general for other vehicle owners who have no common sense or clues at all. I guess that I need to perform more investigation on this oil information system. Now I need to know.

Jeff
  7. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Like Trevor's, my DIC (Driver's Information Center) tells me what percent of life remaining for engine oil, as well as my fuel filter. I have my oil changed at the dealership so it is every 3000 miles regardless what the message center tells me. I do change my fuel filter when it get's down to 20% or less.