Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Oil Pan Gasket Leak. Pull the motor?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by ToddJ8633, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ToddJ8633

ToddJ8633 New Member

Good evening
    I have a 1999 4*4 Tahoe. It was involved in a front end collision and was repaired. However the oil pan gasket has leaked ever since. I paid a shop to fix it about a year after the collision repair, it stopped leaking for about 2 months and then started leaking again. I'm active duty Army and moved shortly after the collision repair in AZ, then shortly again after the oil pan gasket in AL so I couldn't just take it back to the shop. I attempted (twice) to repair it myself. Once with a new gasket and no RTV, once with a new gasket and 2 tubes of RTV.
    Both times I had the truck on a lift and used a transmission jack to lift the transmission as far as it would go, however that is just barely far enough to get the oil pan in and out. It's still leaking. I paid $750 to have a few leaks repaired about 6 months ago and really would like to avoid paying another shop.
    I'm considering attempting it myself again but am wondering the easiest route: pull the motor or remove the front diff and axle? I'd like to have enough room to really inspect it, clean all the oil and let it dry and set a new gasket with RTV without having to cram it back into that tiny gap.
    What's the right way to do this?