1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

oil preasure gage drops, then goes back to normal

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Kdubb2208, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Kdubb2208

Kdubb2208 New Member

hey everyone, i am new to this site.
    my oil Gage drops down to zero, but only for a few seconds and then goes back up to normal, does anyone know why this is going on? thanks alot,
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Id change the OIL pressure sending unit on the back of the block. it is a common problem with these trucks.
    However YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, would help to better ID any other potential problems. Also motor size and tranny to.
  3. William Drexler

William Drexler New Member

I had this happen on my 94 Ck1500 5.7 350. It would fluctuate alot and I started to hear an engine knock, well i took it to a mechanic and he did an oil change and used lucas oil stablilzer, fixed the oil pressure and engine knock, 3 months later happened again did an oil change and good as new so that could be an option if you have other issues along with the oil pressure going all over the place
  4. wisoutlaw

wisoutlaw New Member

I had this happen on my '93 Sierra with the 5.7. It turned out to be the semi-syn oil the dealer was using. It was too slippery for the pump and when you accelerated hard enough the pressure would drop. I switched to conventional oil and the problem went away.

5. 04RegencyRst

04RegencyRst New Member

I have a 04 Chevrolet Silverado RST has a 6.0 engine 26,000 miles and my oil pressure gauge has been dropping and going back to normal the engine sounds normal... Would like to know if you guys may know whats wrong with it
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  6. The Heater

The Heater Member

Gauges in newer vehicles are electronic, not mechanical. A lot of things can make that happen, none of which may be any indication that the oil pressure is actually low. It could be simply a bad ground connection. If the engine were doing something that bad at 26,000 miles, you would hear noise.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

How far is it dropping? Could be the stepper motor that moves the gauge.