oil pressure gauge acting funny

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kawasaki_kid, Jan 21, 2011.

1. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid New Member

i looked down at my gauges yesterday while driving, oil pressure was at zero. as i was pulling over to shut her down, it jump back up to normal in an instant. so i kept driving, keeping close eye on the gauges. a couple mins later same thing again, down at zero, then jumped back up to normal. now im watching it almost closer than the road, on big bumps it would drop down, then come back up. seems like a bad connection somewhere. what you say? all sounds and seems normal while its happening. possibilties? gauge, connection, sending unit, is it possible for the pump to slip? let me know what you think, was planning to take it on the highway tommorow with my sled trailer, now im leary of doing that.
  2. wis bang

wis bang New Member

My '05 does that, on that unit it is a bad 'stepper motor' which drives the needle...I don't know if it affects your year truck...
  3. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder New Member

my old 350 did that, replaced the oil sending unit, it kept doing it, and now it does that only when it gets low on pressure so check your dip stick!
  4. cwagoner

cwagoner New Member

We just got a 97 Suburban with5.7 and the needle tends to bounce a lot, check the fluids and they are fine. was curious about that myself.
  5. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member

check oil level first , then sender and gauge it self !!!!
  6. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid New Member

fixed it. 2.8L of oil.... thats embarrasing and scary. idk how i let it get that low. i guess i havent felt like checking it since it got cold out. im back to my old routine now of checking all fluids, and doing a quick visual under the hood whenever i fill up.