oil pressure gauge acting up

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by black98noma, Jan 13, 2013.

1. black98noma

black98noma Rockstar

hey guys.. in my 2006 gmc seirra my oil pressure gauge just pegged to 80 one day last week. the truck runs fine,no check engine lights or any other warnings... just today it started sweeping from 0 to 80 randomly. like i said before, no warnings, lights or performance issues.. i know its just an electrical issue, but my question is where?? the stepper motor? the pressure switch?? wiring between the two?? ANY input is appreciated!!
    thanks!!

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Most likely the stepper motor. Usually a bad sender just gives weird readings, not make it bounce around.

3. black98noma

black98noma Rockstar

Thats kinda what i was thinkin... the motor is soldered on right??

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

On the NBS and NNBS I think so, but not sure because I've never taken apart one of those clusters...

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yes, they are soldered in. They can be bought for around $12 online. There are plenty of videos on youtube showing how to do it.

6. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

just to make sure, check your oil level.

7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

A new sending unit for the oil gauge is usually cheap but just cause I have delt with these gauges so much I would say its the stepper as well, but also if one is going the rest aren't far behind

8. black98noma

black98noma Rockstar

thanks for all your help so farguys!! so upon driving home from work tonight, the oil pressure needle was goin all over the place.. the scary (at least for me) thing is the "low oil pressure" message came across the info center.. is there any chance that the gauge going to zero is causing that mesage to come across, or are they seperate systems??
    ps.. oil level was 1/2 in the hash marks, which should be fine, but i added 1/2 qt just to be safe, no knocking,overheating due to lack of lubrication.. nothing phiscally wrong just wacky indications...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  9. black98noma

black98noma Rockstar

so bc i dont have time to mess around with this ne more, its off to the stealership...

10. black98noma

black98noma Rockstar

so it turned out to be the oil pressure sensor. thanks for all your help guys!!!