Oil pressure gauge stuck at 80

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by BRB46, Feb 3, 2014.

1. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

I have a good DVM. Do you know what the reading should be? There are three terminals on the sending unit, not sure which I should use. I would guess zero to ?

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I don't know. I keep planning on getting a shop manual for mine, but something else always pops up.

I would guess it is very low, a variation of a volt, or less. On some trucks, the PCM receives this voltage and passes it to the dash gauge. I don't know if it is passed as received, or changed.

3. BRB46

That's OK. Thanks for the added info. I will post when i figure out what fixed the issue. Leaning toward stepper anyway.

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It is the most common as [MENTION=25593]99'HEARTBEAT[/MENTION] pointed out. Good luck

5. BRB46

Well I ordered stepper motor and it is scheduled to be delivered today, however this morning, started the truck and got to end of driveway and got warning chime. Looked at DIC and it said low oil pressure and the gauge read zero. Now wondering if it might be the sending unit instead of stepper. I have no way to read real time engine data to see what pressure is actually. Oil is showing on the dipstick too. Hopefully it's not the pump. Anyone with any suggestions on this.

- - - Updated - - -

Just changed the sending unit and now I have the gauge working as it should. Definitely get the sending unit socket, swivel and some various length extensions. This will make it easier. Also small hands would help.