Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Oil Pressure gauge. What should it read for a 5.3L with DEXOS1 oil?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by WorthFlorida, Sep 30, 2012.

1. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Does any know what is a normal reading for this engine? My new 2012 1500 5.3L oil gauge never goes about the 40PSI mark. My old Astro would always be around 60 abd below 40 on idle. I recall many old engines it was always around 60psi. There are no warning lights on and everything is normal.

2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

my 11 sierra is always in that area. jumps a smidge when i really get on it, but otherwise it sits around the 40 mark.

Alex

3. redvett

redvett Member

As long as you have 7 psi X 1000 rpm's your good. Every engine and oil sender are different.

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

My truck's oil pressure stays at 20 during idle and raises to about 40 during normal rpm and driving. The only time my oil pressure is anywhere close to 60 is when I first start the truck and the oil is thick. This info is from a 1996 Tahoe with a 5.7L Vortec running Pennsoil high mileage synthetic 5W-30 with a Fram Tough Guard filter.

5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

your vehicle uses a ac pf48 filter. the specs are below. this has a low pressure bypass valve in it. when the oil is cold the bypass opens to reduce pressure. not the same as my 2000 5.3L. which with mobil1 5-30wt oil the pressure is 40-60psi. . with reg oil it used to go to 75psi on a cold winter start up. not with synthetic. this will never occur with that PF48 fillter .Because that bypass relief valve will open..........

spec of Pf 48
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Anti-Drainback Valve:[/TD]
    [TD]Yes [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Case Diameter:[/TD]
    [TD]2.95 in[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Efficiency:[/TD]
    [TD]98% @ 30mc mc[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Filter Bypass Relief Valve:[/TD]
    [TD]Yes [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Filter Type/Category:[/TD]
    [TD]3" Oil [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Gasket Inside Diameter:[/TD]
    [TD]2.39 in[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Gasket Outside Diameter:[/TD]
    [TD]2.77 in[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Height:[/TD]
    [TD]3.34 in[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Maximum Burst Pressure:[/TD]
    [TD]300 PSI[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Oil Filter Type:[/TD]
    [TD]3" Oil [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Relief Valve Opening Pressure:[/TD]
    [TD]18-24 PSI[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Spin On:[/TD]
    [TD]Yes [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Thread Size:[/TD]
    [TD]M22 x 1.5 (Special) [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

1 person likes this.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

From some of your other post's I'm going to guess you have the 5.3.
    Normal warm engine oil pressure readings on that engine are between 30 and 40 psi. The 5.3 engine with AFM pressures cannot be compared to any other truck because this engine has a completely different valve train operation due to the AFM system that shuts down some cylinders, oil pressure is intentionally kept lower and PSI is more regulated to stop from over pressurizing when the engine goes into the V-4 mode.

7. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

All good info. Thanks everyone. FYI, in South Florida the weather is always warm. A cold day is not getting out of the 60 degree range and it might last one or two days. Average mean temperature is 75 degrees in Palm Beach County. Therefore, cold thick oil rarely occurs but with Mobil 1, it never will.

8. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

I'd say 20-30 PSI at idle warm. When warm at speed 30-40 PSI.