1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil pressure gauge

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by taydan47, Nov 19, 2010.

1. taydan47

taydan47 New Member

My 2003 Silverado's oil pressure gauge just started to max out when engine is started. Is it my gauge, or the pressure sending unit giving a false reading?
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It could be the Sending Unit as you have mentioned or it could be the the Stepper Motor.....is going out.

Edit:.....I should have mentioned...What and Where the Stepper Motor's Go.....Below are some pictures of the Stepper motor's and where they go on the Dash Cluster,

There is one stepper motor for each Gauge,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!
  4. longrange223

longrange223 New Member

what does the stepper motor do?
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Pull the wire off the sender, put the key on. While the key is on, touch the wire to ground. Should read zero when the circuit is open (not touching) and the gauge should peg when you short the wire to ground.