Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Oil pressure high

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by black07sierra, Jun 7, 2012.

1. black07sierra

black07sierra New Member

07 NBS Sierra 5.3. Ck engine light came on. Says oil pressure level high. Unsafe level. Anyone else ever run into this??

2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Never knew they had an upper limit. Was this pressure to high or oil level to high?

3. black07sierra

black07sierra New Member

Pressure. Oil pressure gauge pegging out at 80 psi every now and then.

4. dpeter

I do not know what would have to fail to get high oil pressure intermitantly but a failing pressure sending unit could give a false reading. I would check the actual oil pressure to see what it was or take a chance and just change out the sending unit. Better yet, wait till someone with some first hand knowledge posts an opinion.

5. black07sierra

black07sierra New Member

I was thinking oil pressure switch too. It's only a $40 part. Hopefully someone that has access to the tsb's can look to see if this was brought up. In case anyone asks my engine has already had the deflector plate installed.

6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

High oil pressure could also point to crud built up in an oil passage causing a restriction which would jump up the pressure. If there is a restriction, something isn't getting oil which could mean premature failure of that part.

7. black07sierra

black07sierra New Member

Engine was pulled and new pistons and rings were installed 12000 miles ago. Still burns oil but GM said its within specs. Thats another story. Oil changed regularly. I'm gonna change oil pressure switch this weekend.

8. dpeter

Did GM do the repair and do you have a warranty? If so then that is where I would start.

9. black07sierra

black07sierra New Member

GM did repair and it's out of warranty now. Gonna replace the sensor tomorrow. The gauge dropped to 0 psi for about 20 miles yesterday and then back to 80.

10. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Sounds to me like its the sensor. Same thing is wrong on my uncle's 05. His pegs out high and claims to have 0% oil life.