1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil pressure/ oil guage problem?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 2003-5.3-V8, Oct 14, 2011.

1. 2003-5.3-V8

2003-5.3-V8 New Member

My oil gauge needle is normally at 38-40 when at normal idol( tach gauge picture is at normal idol) and goes up to 80ish at full rev, but today when I started her the needle only went to like 20-22 ( picture of oil gauge) I thought it might need to just warm up so I've been driving around all day and the gauge still reads 20-22 at idol and when I revved it all the way the needle only went to right above the 3/4 mark on the oil gauge.
    I checked the dipstick and the oil is still gold and is not low.
    Could the gauge be broken? or oil pressure problem? Or something more serious?

Attached Files:

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

There are only two things that come to mind, bad stepper motor or bad oil pressure sending unit. The sending unit would be mounted low on the engine block, with a 2 wire connector hooked to it. They are relatively inexpensive to get, but they are a pain to get out sometimes. There is a way to check it with an ohms meter, but I forget what the rating should be on it.