1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Oil pressure over the top

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by cutabovetherest, Jan 1, 2009.

1. cutabovetherest

cutabovetherest New Member

New Years eve we drove the to a local movie theater and on the way home the oil pressure was reading 80,or if I put the wrong number in there at the highest level. It also was running with a lot less horsepower but I'm sure that was also due to the oil pressure. Any tech's or anyone else know what the problem is?

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It does help to know what model/year/equipment you have. Generally a high oil pressure reading is caused by a few things.

1. Thickened oil.
    2. Clogged oil filter
    3. Stuck pressure relief valve.
    4. Instrument cluster defect.
    5. Faulty pressure switch.

For thickened oil, an oil/filter change would be recommended. Extremely cold temperatures can boost oil pressures, and you can switch to a different viscosity to adjust for seasonal variations.
    For a clogged filter, change oil/filter.
    For a stuck pressure relief valve try changing the oil and using a crankcase flush.
    Instrument cluster defects and faulty pressure switches can give a false reading. GM has a history in the late model trucks with defective instrument clusters. Usually this affects the whole cluster lighting and gauges. Oil pressure switches are a cheap and easy replacement.

High oil pressure is not typically something to be concerned about. A sudden increase in pressure points to a stuck pressure relief valve.

3. cutabovetherest

Ours is an '03 4x4 that is fully loaded stock , i know that cold weather typically that is the reason, but it just seemed odd that after i drove it for about 30 minutes it still stayed at the very top. I am going to give it a look at and see if it has went down.

4. cutabovetherest

Sorry, it just came to him we're overdue for an oil change, sorry for wasting a post. Silly mistake, once again sorry