oil pressure problems again...

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 2wheelmudder, May 21, 2010.

1. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

so i had gone through hell getting that new oil sending unit in my truck and now its dropping to zero as i accelerate, i know my oil pressure is good usually at 60 but it drops down to zero every once in awhile any ideas?

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Did you use a mechanical gauge to check and verify the pressure?
    A mechanical gauge is about the only way to accurately verify the pressure readings.
    As for the pressure drop if it isnt the gauge/sending unit or wiring then you may have to look at the oil bypass, it's possible under heavy load it's bypassing and causing a momentary loss of pressure.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I agree with TBplus but i have also run into faulty parts right off the shelf.. When i was running for Rangers i went thru 4 IACs in 3 months and they were aftermarket parts. And I had one chevy that went thru 3 Fuel pumps in one year, once again obviously not as quality as you would think.. Just something else to look at.

4. 2wheelmudder

alright thank you i will definitely look into a mechanical oil pressure gauge

5. 2wheelmudder

so if i get a mechanical oil pressure and its doin the same as my stock oil pressure gauge you think its most likely bypassing? i saw a diagram on it, is it bad that it is bypassing or should i not worry about it, because im all for doing preventative maintenance cuz i love my truck