1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

oil pressure problems again...

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 2wheelmudder, May 21, 2010.

1. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

so i had gone through hell getting that new oil sending unit in my truck and now its dropping to zero as i accelerate, i know my oil pressure is good usually at 60 but it drops down to zero every once in awhile any ideas?

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Did you use a mechanical gauge to check and verify the pressure?
    A mechanical gauge is about the only way to accurately verify the pressure readings.
    As for the pressure drop if it isnt the gauge/sending unit or wiring then you may have to look at the oil bypass, it's possible under heavy load it's bypassing and causing a momentary loss of pressure.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I agree with TBplus but i have also run into faulty parts right off the shelf.. When i was running for Rangers i went thru 4 IACs in 3 months and they were aftermarket parts. And I had one chevy that went thru 3 Fuel pumps in one year, once again obviously not as quality as you would think.. Just something else to look at.

4. 2wheelmudder

alright thank you i will definitely look into a mechanical oil pressure gauge

5. 2wheelmudder

so if i get a mechanical oil pressure and its doin the same as my stock oil pressure gauge you think its most likely bypassing? i saw a diagram on it, is it bad that it is bypassing or should i not worry about it, because im all for doing preventative maintenance cuz i love my truck