Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Oil Pressure sending unit

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by BIGREDDADDY53, Dec 26, 2013.

1. BIGREDDADDY53

BIGREDDADDY53 Rockstar 100 Posts

My last Oil change I noticed the oil gauge was t max. I thought it might be the sending unit,.Does anyone have any thoughts on this problem. thanks , Eric

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Eric.....It could be the Sending Unit or a Bad Connection or it could be the Stepper Motor for the Oil Pressure Gauge is going Out/Bad, I would lean towards it being the Stepper Motor, and the reason is I see you have 03" Tahoe, and this is a Common Problem on the 2003" to 2005" Truck's/SUV's Dash Cluster's, So much so that GM Had a Special Coverage Adjustment on the Dash Cluster's, for this problem with the Stepper Motor's.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  3. geraldc

geraldc New Member

my 1997 truck Silverado 1500 2 wd 350 with 15,000 miles on new engine not rebuild oil pressure gauge problem. When brakes are applied gauge hand drops to the right side of gauge not to zero then brakes released gauge goes back to 60#. Did this for about 3 weeks, now it may read 60# or just stay dropped down any time.

4. BIGREDDADDY53

Oil sending uint

Sorry for the long response. My son has been sick. What is a Stepper Motor? I don't belive I have heard of this before. Thanks Eric

5. geraldc

geraldc New Member

oil pressure gauage

Thank for reply, -- I have checked wire connection on sending unit, its good. When sitting in park, idling, turn steering wheel Oil pressure gauge will fall from 60 psi to dash, zero is on left of gauge, it falls down not to zero. move wheel again will jump to 60 psi so stepper motor should be good, I think. So far have not seen any other gauge mess up.
    I have my brake light system I build working great, not part of truck brake lights. And all other rear lights work great. How can flasher and turn signals work without brake light working ? Nothing has been taken of or cut on truck brake lights. GM tells me nothing is wrong.
    After 2nd Felpro intake gasket set applied. problem of losing water still there no external leaks found and run great. Trip Savannah ga to Atlanta ga loses 1.5 quart water lost. My job for 30 yrs was finding and fixing external water leaks on locomotives so I know how to find a leak.

6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

There is a Stepper Motor for each Gauge in your Dash Cluster, and their located on the back-side of your Dash Cluster.

Here a picture the Stepper Motor's "Circled in Red" and there is one for each Gauge on the Dash Cluster.....and this is the item that might have gone Out/Bad on your Oil Gauge, and that needs to be replaced.
    [​IMG]

As I've mentioned above, This was a Common Problem on the 2003" to 2005" Truck's/SUV's Dash Cluster's, So much so that GM Had a "Special Coverage Adjustment" on the Dash Cluster's, for this problem with the Stepper Motor's.

7. BIGREDDADDY53

Thanks Mike, Does the whole dash have to come out or is there a shortcut (thought I had it pinned down to a sending unit). Thanks again.....Eric

8. 99'HEARTBEAT

Eric, does this "I had it pinned down to a Sending Unit" mean that you've find no problem with the Oil's sending unit??....and in order to remove, replace, and install a new the stepper motor, the Dash Cluster needs to come out, and I would just add, that it would be a good idea to replace all of the stepper motor's.

9. Smoke Em All

Smoke Em All Member

2003 Tahoe.. my oil pressure gauge does not work at all. My tach is also sporadic and doesn't always give accurate readings. Is it possible that the stepper is the issue here also? As far as the "Special Coverage Adjustment" what does this mean exactly? Is it like a recall? Thanks for any more info on this.

10. 99'HEARTBEAT

As I mentioned above, the problem with your Gauges, also could be the Sending Unit or a Bad Connection or it could be the Stepper Motors for the Oil Pressure and Tach Gauges going Out/Bad.

Regarding GM's Special Coverage Adjustment on the Stepper Motor's.
    The Coverage on this Problem with the Stepper Motor's, Was the following,
    ....If your vehicle is within 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km) of the date it was first placed in service, GM must replace the instrument panel (parts and labor) for free.

....If your vehicle is between 70,001 miles (110,001 km) and 80,000 miles (130,000 km) of the date it was first placed in service, GM must replace the instrument panel (parts) for free. Any labor costs will be the responsibility of the vehicle owner.

....If your vehicle is older than 7 years or over 80,000 miles, you no longer qualify for the special coverage adjustment and must seek alternative means of repair.

The link below goes into detail about this Special Coverage Adjustment.
    Link,
    http://www.gmspeedometerrecall.com/