1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

oil pressure

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Big Hoss, Jul 30, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Big Hoss

Big Hoss New Member

what is a good range while driving?
  2. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member 100 Posts

Standard has always been at least 10psi for every 1000rpms, but I would consider that on the low side.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Without an actual pressure gague attached to the engine, don"t go by the electric gague in the dash.

The pressure switch is just an on/off switch, when the engine is running, a few pounds of oil pressure turns the switch on. The PCM monitors rpms, temp, and a few other parms and sends an electrical signal to the pressure indicator in the dash.

The dash gague is providing the PCMs "best guess" at what the pressure is at any given time.
  4. dpeter

dpeter New Member 100 Posts

The electrical diagram I have for my 2000 Yukon has the oil pressure sensor connected directly to the oil pressure gage and the logic board is seeing what the gage is seeing. There is a difference between switch and sensor. Mine reads 40 at idle and close to 50 at anything past 1000 RPM, at least that is my best estimate at trying to decipher the hash marks on the gage face. I see no good reason to automatically distrust the electric gages any more than the mechanical ones. An oldtimer once told me "if the lifters aint clacking then you're good to go". I don't totally agree with that but the times I did have an oil issue the valves are what alerted me to it. The ten psi per thousand rpm may seem low but it is adequate.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

There is indeed, the idiot light (no dash gauge) uses a switch, the electric gauge uses a sensor (GM calls it a sending unit), this is a transducer that changes electrical resistance as pressure increases, or a transducer the creates an electric voltage as the pressure increases (both types are used, not sure what GM used in the 2000 engines, or the 1998 engines).

If the sending unit is wired to the dash gauge, then the reading is an actually representation of the engine's oil pressure. If however, the sending unit is first wired to the PCM, the voltage on the lead going to the dash gauge may not be a true reading from the sensor.
  6. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne New Member

hi boonduff
    I am agree with you ,this pressure 10psi for every 1000rpm give good performance of vehicle.High oil pressure is not generally a concern, but if pressure suddenly increases, there may be a problem with the pressure relief valve. Switching to a higher-viscosity oil will also show higher readings. In choosing oil weight, it's best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the season and type of driving.