Oil pump replacement cost? [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by 805savana, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 805savana

805savana New Member

Has anyone had to replace the oil pump on their 2002+ GMC Savana, or same year 5.0 pick up? If so, what did it cost, and was it done by a dealer? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Here is a Oil pump for your Ride from Auto Zone,just to give you a idea on price,

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...Pump&fromWhere=&searchText=&_requestid=867557

Sorry I can't help you on the cost to have pump installed.

3. 805savana

805savana New Member

Thanks, it's funny you chose autozone of all places, that's where I bought mine. Anyway, I have already changed out my pump, (last night), I was just curious how much money I saved. I tried calling the dealer, but they wouldn't settle on a labor cost w/o seeing the vehicle?? So, I thought I'd take a swim in this forums vast pool of knowledge. Thanks again!

If anyone does have an answer please still post it I'm still curious.

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

easy way to figure that is just figure out how long it took you, the dealership will tell you what your hourly rate is, I know my ripoff dealer is 120 an hour

5. CHEVYVANMAN

CHEVYVANMAN Rockstar 100 Posts

you saved money and you got piece of mind also, i called to get a price to replace a wheel bearing, 600 bucks, so said screw it and learned, i was done in under an hour and i am not a wrench , oh there are things to go to the dealer for, easy parts aren't one of them,

i did an oil pump on an old wagon, well new wagon old days lol, thats when i knew i hated to wrench on motors lol

6. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Call around to some shops. Forget the dealerships. There is a labor book on everything that tells how long a repair should take. I think you can call around and easily get some estimates from shops on an oil pump replacement. I do it all the time.
    As someone else said....how long did it take you? add at least 1.5 hours to that and you might get a shops charge LOL....And then there is the markup on the part. $45 at Autozone......shop will jack that up double triple.
    You saved hundreds easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.