1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil pump replacement question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by skipr, Apr 30, 2009.

1. skipr

skipr New Member

I was wondering if someone may be able to let me know if it is possible to change to oil pump in a 2001 silverado 2500 4x4? I have a 01 with 366,000 miles, the oil pressure tends to be fine then drops off then comes back up. The sending unit is fine, so ive been advised that a new oil pump in in order.

Any help would be apreciated very much.

Thanks, Steve
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

have the same issue and my mechanic said not to bother with the pump, that with high mileage its more then likely its a bearing within the engine that is allowing oil to get by, he said as long as its holding decent pressure when driving, not overheating, and no metal in the oil not to worry. He did say that if you do want to change the pump you have to remove the front drive shaft and any tranny or oil coolant lies to get the oil pan off
  3. Rice

Rice New Member

probably not the oil pump. I've just gone through this myself. My motor had 150k miles and low oil ressure. Swapped a high-flow pump (not a small job there) and no change.
    Old motors wear out mains and just don't hold pressure.
    I ended up swappung in a new motor with 10K miles and oil pressure is a-OK.
    No cheap solution there.