Oil Pump stopped but started again

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MauryFrench, Apr 18, 2014.

1. MauryFrench

MauryFrench Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Good day everyone.

Here is the story. 95 Silverado 350. Just came from the mechanic for a new catalytic converter to pass Texas State Emmissions. Two days later it sounds horrible in the driveway; I check and no oil on the dipstick. No smoke, no leak that I can tell. I add about 3 quarts of oil back but the horrible engine sound doesnt go away; I look and there is no oil pressure. This was a few weeks ago and it has been sitting.

Today I fire it up one more time for grins to see if it will work before I start jacking it up to work on it. I gunned the engine a couple of times, and lo and behold the gauge pops right back up and the engine starts to purr. Well purr is relative with 260K miles, but it sounds fine. Took it for a little drive and all seems well.

Question is, did the oil pump have to prime or something that it just wasn't doing at idle? Will it probably be alright now, or should I keep an oil pump change in the plans? I will do a full oil/filter change this weekend with 4 quarts of Castrol and a quart of Lucas just in case.

Happy Easter everyone.

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If the engine ran with no oil pressure for any amount of time a rebuild would be my future plan.
    At 260k, if it didnt have oil pressure for even a short amount of time some irreversable damage has been done, no amount of oil additives or good oil will change that. As a guess theres probably grooves on the main bearings and scoring on the cylinders.
    As for an oil change this weekend just my opinion but its a waste of good oil. If it ran with no pressure the engines days are numbered, even if you dont hear noises now the damage is there.

3. MauryFrench

MauryFrench Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Mr. tbplus, I suspect you are right. Unfortunately, as much as I love the truck it is so beat up that an engine rebuilt is not in it's future unless I win a lottery. I just need to hope my mother goes senile pretty quick so I can take her car.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yea I hear ya. Sometimes ya have to make the hard decision and walk away without investing more.
    Is a lower mileage engine out of a wreck a possibility? Sometimes this can be an economical way to keep a truck running.
    Well, in that case a new oil pump, oil change, and additive might get a few more miles out of it, I'd never trust it for towing or long trips out of town again.
    Check the coolant, if it ran with little or no lubrication it stands to reason things mightve heated up a little too.

5. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Change the oil and drive it till it croaks.....may last forever, never know