1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil pump swap 03 2500HD

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Marineredn, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Marineredn

Marineredn Member

Well gentlemen
    Tragically i started my truck to 0 oil pressure, shut it down, only stated it to confirm the lifters were knocking (too confirm it wasn't just a bad pressure sensor) had it towed the to dealership so i could get the experts opinion. 100 dollars later they to told me it was possibly an oil pump....
    I got a new pump, i have a good tool set and rented a torque wrench.

big question can i do this myself?

is there anyone who know where i can find a tutorial on how this is done? apparently Chiltons doesn't make a manual for "heavy duty" models....

let me know fellas,
    Thanks
    Cameron

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

oh also with was about 300 miles into a fresh oil change with royal purple, and a quart of Lucas (the new kind with a the black label) as soon as a changed it the oil pressure dropped slightly
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Is your truck gas or diesel?
  3. Marineredn

Marineredn Member

Gas, 6.0l unfortunately wish I had a duramax lol
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm not sure of all the intricate details of the 6.0, but undoubtedly the oil pump is on the bottom of the engine in the oil pan. To get the oil pan off, you're going to have to lift the engine some off its motor mounts. To give clearance to get the motor high enough, the distributor and other parts may have to be removed.

In summary, the actual swap of the pump is easy and can be done in probably 30 minutes, but getting access to be able to do the pump swap is going to take a considerable amount of time. Be sure to allot at least a full day of work to get this done, possibly 2 depending on what issues you encounter along the way.
  5. Marineredn

Marineredn Member

that what i was a afraid of, I've never pulled a motor before, think ill just take whats left of my last check from the marine corps and pay to have it done right. i found a guy who said he'd do it for 600 in labor.
    thanks for the advice guys

6. Bigg Ron

Bigg Ron Rockstar 100 Posts

Sounds kinda high to me, for that price I would look at a shop where you will have a warranty.
  7. silveradotrailblazer

On the LS type engines, including the 4.8,5.3 and 6.0 the oil pump is crankshaft driven and is mounted on the front of the motor. You have to take the front off the motor and then jack up the motor to remove the oil pan so you can remove the sump from the oil pump. Theres a o-ring that seals the sump to the pump, make sure you replace this o-ring and don't chip/cut it when reinstalling back into the pump. That most likely is why you got a $600.00 labor estimate.
  8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

X2, that's waaaaaay high Marineredn. I'd shop around for some more estiments if you're not going to try it yourself. Seriously it's not that big a job. You made it through Marine Corps boot camp, you can do this :) You don't have to pull the engine, just raise the front about 2 to 3 inches so you can get the pan off, & there are plenty of members here that will help walk you through it. If it's a non LS I'll help you & if it's an LS engine I think STB has probably done about a hundred of those :)

Thanks for your service!!
  9. silveradotrailblazer

If its a '03 stephan than its a LS type motor. You have to remove the pulleys, cam cover/water pump front cover to get to the oil pump. When you reinstall the pump it MUST be centered on the crankshaft pulley. Theres a special tool for this or some guys use two 0.002" feeler gauges.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

If your thinking about a cam swap, nows the time. The cam and crank sprokets will be exposed. The intake manifold doesn't have to be removed, just the valve covers. DO IT!!!!!:great:
  10. Marineredn

Marineredn Member

i stated that wrong he owns a shop and is willing to put a warranty on it, but yeah gonna try to do it myself