1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

oil recommendation

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ccmnova, Sep 7, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ccmnova

ccmnova New Member

New here - 08 Silverado 1500 with the V6. need some recommendations on brand and weight of oil recommended. Is synthetic recommended ? I use synthetic in all my cars. I did a change on the Silverado at 2000 miles with regular Pennsoil 5W-30. I am using Mobil 1 in my cars and thought I should do the same with this truck.
  2. moosetags

moosetags New Member 100 Posts

Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I use synthetic 5W30 in both my Suburbans. I use the Wal-mart Brand.
  3. Poor Man

Poor Man New Member

I have been using Mobil 1 10w30 in my 99 GMC Savana since purchased at 46k. It now has 169k with no issues. One thing, though...if you have a leaky engine, don't use synthetic oil until you fix the leaks...Synthetic will multiply oil leaks dramatically.

Jim
    :glasses:
  4. Hoss2500

Hoss2500 New Member

I just put Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w30 in my 6.0L.

Last tank I got 1mpg more and engine sure seems to like it. Seems to run smoother....although that may just be me trying to justify the added expense of using synthetic!

I went with Pennzoil because of the "major label" synthetics, it is the least expensive and is readily available everywhere I shop.

Online reviews looked good too.

Hope this helps.
  5. ccmnova

ccmnova New Member

Thanks for the input. I think I'll try the synthetic oil which better handles the heat (and cold).