1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil Sending Unit Location..

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jnt412, Aug 22, 2010.

1. jnt412

jnt412 Member

I have a 2003 GMC Yukon-XL/Flex Fuel. I'm trying to locate the oil sending unit in order to perform a oil pressure test. I have a shop manual (from Advance Auto Parts) that says its located behind the exhaust manifold. After looking under the vechicle, I didn't see it. I also used a flash light and still couldn't find it...

Could someone tell me where its located exactly and how accessble it is. If someone has a picture of the oil sending unit at its location, that would be very helpful as well...

Thanks,

jnt412
  2. jnt412

jnt412 Member

Update: I had my instrument cluster rebuilt and reinstalled it. This rules out the stepper motor for the oil gauge being the problem. The gauge now flucuates from "0 - full" oil pressure. Its looking more like the oil sending unit is the problem. Can someone tell and/or show me where its located?..

Thanks,

jnt412..
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The Oil Sending Unit is located at the back of the Engine....on a 5.3 liter,
    [​IMG]

Below is a Little Better Picture, of where the Sending Unit is located,
    [​IMG]

Edit......I would think that for the 4.8 and 6.0 liter Engines.....the Oil sending unit is Located in the Same Spot.
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Should be in the same spot for the 5.7l also, since the 5.3 and the 5.7 share a common block. It's also in roughly the same spot on the 7.4l...No matter what, it's a pain in the rear to get to while the motor is in the truck and has the intake manifold on.
  5. jnt412

jnt412 Member

It does look like a pain to replace. Looks like it needs a socket tool for removal as well. I've read that some people have replaced it from under the truck but I couldn't see or feel it. The shop manual I have has a picture of a oil pressure guage connected without taking out the motor or removing the manifold. There must be a trick to doing this...
  6. Crawdaddy

It does require a special socket that's similar to an oxygen sensor socket, or possibly a crows foot. The sending unit is very easy to break off the block if you bump it too hard. With the intake off, you can get the sensor out with a regular wrench, but who wants to pull an intake to get to a sensor...
  7. jnt412

jnt412 Member

I'm reaching out to some people on another board that have replaced the oil sending units on their trucks from the same exact location. It seems they managed to stick a hand/arm back there and just feel around for the switch and where able to remove and replace it. I'm trying to confirm this hopefully before the weekend..
  8. Crawdaddy

You can definitely get to it from the top, it's just not easy. My uncle is leaving his off while he puts his motor back in the truck to keep from breaking it.
  9. jnt412

jnt412 Member

Hopefully I won't have to un-hook the fuel lines but I think I may have to remove the PCV hose atleast which shouldn't be hard. Really getting tired of the oil gauge going back and forth and the "OIL PRESSURE IS LOW" messages and beeps while driving..
  10. Crawdaddy

I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but are you sure that you aren't actually losing oil pressure? It would suck to replace that sensor, just to find out that you've been having real low oil pressure and that your bearings are now shot.