1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil Temp Gauge installation

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Jimbo3, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Jimbo3

Jimbo3 Rockstar 100 Posts

I had a thread on here awhile back about A-pillar gauges and I finally went ahead and bought the triple pod and 3 gauges. Oil Temp, Trans temp, and Air PSI. I am able to install the air psi and trans temp, but any idea or hints on installing the oil temp sending unit? What is the best way to do it? Is it easy? Also, any help with wiring to a fuse panel for an 06 silverado would be helpful.. I am not going to hook up to a dimmer, just a switched power source.

James
  2. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I know on the GMT 900 platform the computer reads oil temps cause my edge picks it up. Perhaps looking for the signal wire for the coputer and tap into that? That would be my best guess.

Not sure what you asking about wiring to a fuse panel ... ??
  3. Jimbo3

Well I need a switched source, so I bought an adapter that will plug into a fuse slot that only has power when key is on, and run it off of that. that didn't come out right lol
  4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

ok if you have a voltmeter or test light you can find a switched source fuse. If you don't have either one, then you could pick a consumer like the w.wipers, or blower motor that you know only comes on with the key & hook it up to that fuse. There also should be at least 1 or 2 blanks that are switched accessory..
    What is this switched hot lead for??
  5. Jimbo3

I actually returned the gauge and went and bought a cluster that has a trans temp gauge in it since my truck is already equipped with it.