1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil Usage?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Goldie, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Goldie

Goldie Active Member 1000 Posts

My vehicle recently had it's second oil change/service at 14,000 miles. Just prior to the service I noticed the oi llevel was down about 1/2 quart. I checked for leaks and did not find any. The dealership advised me that this was within specs. For a vehicle with this small amount of miles on it, I don't think I should be using any oil . Anybody have any comments or thoughts..
  2. retired

retired New Member

How many miles since last oil change? And a 1/2 qt in 5000 miles is normal.
  3. daddytech

daddytech New Member

Did GM suddenly change the oil change frequency requirements?? I've always known the recommended mileage for an oil change to be 3,000 miles 4,000 if you use most synthetics because it gives you that cushion. never heard anyone going 5,000 miles

That kind of time between oil changes losing half a quart of oil usage i would think would be expected. Even with the synthetics I would expect a little loss personally.
  4. Steban

Steban New Member

1/2 a quart of oil usage is normal. The rings have gaps in them and it is normal to get a bit of oil past them that will burn. Also your engines needs to warm up and different metals expand at different rates, so you could have a very small amount of oil burning past the rings due to that. I would worry about 1/2 quart every oil change.
  5. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts

i run synthetic in mine, i usually change every 8000 miles. i just keep a weary eye on my oil level and its coloration. the longer its been since a change, the more often i check. besides, these new vehicles have oil life meters on them that tell you the breakdown of your oil. technology is impressive
  6. daddytech

daddytech New Member

I own a 99 with a 350 motor in it , mine doesn't have all the super fancy toys on it like yours aparently does. lol

Hell I thought I was in high cotton when I got one that had heated seats and mirrors. made me feel like I was driving a cadillac or something. but I wouldn't trade mine with the 350 off just yet, not till i see some proof on the newer motors being more durable than the 350 any how.

plus even the newer ones are kinda hard to find with the police package on them for sale already.

does it make a difference that I run Mobil 1 and even they don't recommend more than 5,000 miles ??? if not it's ok, just curious.
  7. jlsparky7

jlsparky7 New Member

Im not a chevy guy yet but will be one day. In my 3.0 Ranger I change my oil every 15,000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first. It has 80,000 miles on it and the oil level is the same every time I change it. You guys should look into amsoil, its some amazing stuff.
  8. werty

werty New Member

THE 91 K5 HAS 150,000 MILES ON IT AND I STILL ONLY USE 1/2 QUART EVERY 3000 GOTTA LOVE A REAL TRUCK!!!:lol: