1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil Usage

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jel1957, Jun 5, 2010.

1. jel1957

jel1957 New Member

I have a 2007 Suburban, with roughly 52,000 miles on it. It is using about 1 quart to 1.5 quarts of oil every 3000 miles. Seems high. No visible leaks, and it does not smoke at start-up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. wis bang

wis bang New Member

While we may not like it, a quart per 3000 is regarded as normal by the auto makers...
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

X2.. If you step up a level in viscosity that might cut down on consuption..
  4. jel1957

jel1957 New Member

Thanks for the help. I also have a 1995 Imapala with 120Kmiles that does not loose this much.
  5. wis bang

wis bang New Member

I've read that some vehicles are not driven enough to boil off the contaminants & water vapor so during a normal oil change interval they don't appear to use/flash off any oil when they are simply replacing it w/ water and contaminants.

If you always let the engine get up to operating temps and don't drive all short hops like some soccer mom you should notice some consumption. Like noted above, the manufacturers have done a bunch of things to increase the CAFE mileage averages. When they all switched to 5W-30 from 10W-30 oils it was just for that reason...
  6. mattrunner

mattrunner New Member

yep this is almost normal...one of my cars takes almost this much but cant do anything as the dealer says this is ok.