Oil Usage

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Ryobi, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Ryobi

Ryobi New Member

I have a 2007 Silverado Classic with 35K. Normally, this vehicle sees less than 100 miles a week, and the oil level does not change visibly between oil changes. Over the past 6 weeks, I have been communiting 100 miles a day, and driving 600 miles most weekends. When I checked the oil, it was a quart low. Since this is the first time I've seen a visually detectable difference in oil level between changes, I wanted to ask whether this is normal, or a cause for concern. Thanks.

2. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

You may have had some water condensate build up but I doubt that was a quart for sure. Welcome to the club, mine uses 2 to 3 quarts between changes. Were you shocked when the "low oil" light came on? I was after spending $30k for a truck.

3. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

Hi! What kind of oil you running?

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. What motor do you have?

5. BBC4EVER

BBC4EVER Member

My '08 5.3l uses a quart about every 4k. I was using valvoline 5-30 syn, now switched to Mobil 1 full syn...I'll let you know as soon as I check it, but I don't expect a change.

btw-5.3 iron block, AFM, e85 opt.

6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

thats funny, cause my 05 and the old 03 never used any oil between changes.

guess I got some sweet blocks.

a quart over that many miles isnt a huge deal, even a quart low, its not a major issue if your not working it to death, youve still got 4 and a half rolling around in there.

Alex

7. Ryobi

Ryobi New Member

Thanks guys. I have the 6 cyl. and run Valvoline full synthetic. For the period in question, the truck was used pretty much like a work truck, just all highway. So I guess it's not a big deal.