1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil Usage

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Ryobi, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Ryobi

Ryobi New Member

I have a 2007 Silverado Classic with 35K. Normally, this vehicle sees less than 100 miles a week, and the oil level does not change visibly between oil changes. Over the past 6 weeks, I have been communiting 100 miles a day, and driving 600 miles most weekends. When I checked the oil, it was a quart low. Since this is the first time I've seen a visually detectable difference in oil level between changes, I wanted to ask whether this is normal, or a cause for concern. Thanks.
  2. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

You may have had some water condensate build up but I doubt that was a quart for sure. Welcome to the club, mine uses 2 to 3 quarts between changes. Were you shocked when the "low oil" light came on? I was after spending $30k for a truck.
  3. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

Hi! What kind of oil you running?
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. What motor do you have?
  5. BBC4EVER

BBC4EVER Member

My '08 5.3l uses a quart about every 4k. I was using valvoline 5-30 syn, now switched to Mobil 1 full syn...I'll let you know as soon as I check it, but I don't expect a change.

btw-5.3 iron block, AFM, e85 opt.
  6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

thats funny, cause my 05 and the old 03 never used any oil between changes.

guess I got some sweet blocks.

a quart over that many miles isnt a huge deal, even a quart low, its not a major issue if your not working it to death, youve still got 4 and a half rolling around in there.

Alex
  7. Ryobi

Ryobi New Member

Thanks guys. I have the 6 cyl. and run Valvoline full synthetic. For the period in question, the truck was used pretty much like a work truck, just all highway. So I guess it's not a big deal.