1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil weight for towing applications

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ricodog77, May 15, 2009.

1. ricodog77

ricodog77 New Member

I think I read in a much older post about different oil weights for towing. I currently run Mobil 1 5W30 in my Tahoe(per owner's manual and the oil cap), but seem to remember a suggestion of running 20W40 for warm weather towing. I was thinking of swapping in 10W40 (kinda in the middle) for a little more viscosity, but not quite sacrificing the fuel economy. I've read through most everyone's threads on Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil vs. Royal Purple, I'm just wondering about the weights.

Anyone have any recommendations? Thanx.

P.S. Has anyone installed an aftermarket tranny temp gauge? My Tahoe didn't come with one.
  2. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What engine do you have? How many miles on the truck?

If you are going to use a premium synthetic oil you would be fine with the 5W-30. If you do go up in weight you will lose MPG, and is not necessary. Now if you were burning oil it would be a good idea to go up a viscosity level.
  3. ricodog77

ricodog77 New Member

I have the 5.3 with 65k miles on it. I'm towing a 28 ft travel trailer approaching GCVWR for the truck. I also tow it throughout California, up and down the mountains, in 100+ heat. I was unsure if a thicker viscosity oil would help me in the heat while towing. Thanks for any info.
  4. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You can stick with the 5W-30 or if it is your preference you could go up to a 40. I have a 1 ton f#*@ work van with the V10 and I run 5W-40 CJ-4 diesel oil in it(the same oil I run in my Duramax). It burns a little oil on a lesser weight, the van has 235,000 miles on it.