1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

OK all you plumbers out there ... dripping shower question

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Apr 16, 2014.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

So my shower is going drip drip drip ... This is what it looks like. How to fix? Is this a diy job or what?

20140416_220938.jpg

20140416_221047.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Toilet is all messed up too. Lol. Guess I'll buy a toilet repair kit tomorrow. 20140416_223820.jpg
  2. kbonanny

kbonanny New Member

That is not a hard fix IF you can manage to get an oring kit for whatever model you have....it is easy to replace IF you know how to shut your water off and have an access hole behind the shower head!
    If none of the above apply, you have some work on your hands!
    LOL...best of luck!
  3. fugitive

fugitive New Member

If thats a crack in that valve body pull it's gut's out and you'll have to be creative and carefull to get it out. Of course water off 1st, small open end hack saw right @ the joints,clean and hopefully you can flex the lines enough to sweet the new valve body back in!
    But! if it's not a crack just buy a new cartridge.
  4. Is it leaking from the junction for the supply and shower outflow etc? Or is the spigot on the front leaking?
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

This is a stand alone shower. So there is a knob to turn the water on ... Then a shower head up at the top. It's leaking up at top, out of the shower head.

From what I understand, the part that failed it is probably the knob or mixer, whatever you call it. Isn't that true? I'm really not comfortable with the thought of using to hack saw to cut out something and put something else in, although I could probably do it if I had to. I guess first thing for me to do with understand really what's causing the water to leak out of the shower head.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. I'm going to have to do a lot of research on this project, lol!
  6. I do know, Home Depot / Lowe's has a large-ish selection of the bits and pieces inside, both o-rings and the spline ended rod (I don't know the technical name for that guy) that the knob attaches to. If you disassemble it, I'd be willing to guess it's got a faulty o-ring in there
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Sounds like a worn "O" ring, as someone pointed out some of the more popular mixing valves have "drop in" replacements available.
    Or you can bring in the "O" rings and find suitable replacements.
    First step is to find the valve mfgr, some like Moen have have lifetime warranties and will send free replacement parts.
    Worst case is replacing the valve, I think I see a threaded fitting at the top, the other fitting is soldiered, since you have copper its a matter of heating the fittings enough to melt out the soldier, clean the fitting, and replace the valve.
  8. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

@Steve, if the water is dripping from the shower head, the value (the part behind the handle that turns the water on/off and mixes the temp) is leaking. It is called a cartridge.

From your pic, I'm not sure how the cartridge is held inside the valve body. Can you provide a manufactures name?

As a couple of people have said, the water needs to be turned off (hot and cold at shower, or whole house). There should be a cap that screws on over the cartridge to hold it in place. Remove the cap and gently tug the cartridge out of the body.

Take the cartridge with you to be sure you get the correct one (as someone said, some of them have life-time warranties and may be free). When you get the cartridge out, you will see a round black rubber (plastic) disk inside the valve body, you will need one of these as well, and the spring that is behind it (the spring and the disk push up against the cartridge when it is in the off position to stop the water flow). When you get the cartridge, ask for the valve seal also (you might have to buy a package with a number of different seals and select the correct parts when you get home).

My suggestion, is that you do not remove the rubber disk before you go to the store. Buy the parts, and remove the disk when you have the new parts and put the new pieces in while the "how they came out" is fresh in your mind.

It's an easy fix.

Btw, sometimes the cartridge will go in 180 degrees wrong. if the water does not shut off in the off position, just remove the cartridge and flip it 180.

EDIT:

I just thought of something else, because that is a one handle faucet, there will be 2 of the black rubber disks, one for hot and one for cold.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  9. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts

If you can figure out who made the faucet, you can go to the manufacturers website and they can help you identify the replacement parts. I had a similar problem with a shower and was able to get everything I needed to stop the drip. X2 on the crapper. Yea, you can get those kits at Lowes but they seem to have issues after a few years.

We had one that was bad about getting stopped up. I replaced the whole toilet in one bathroom because it was bad for getting stopped up. The newer one uses less water and rarely has a problem.....well unless someone in the house has a REAL problem :)
  10. kbonanny

kbonanny New Member

OFF TOPIC!

That last line made me laugh...I have had a rare autoimmune disease since January '04. At one point I was so bad I could not walk due to severe pain, especially in my lower back. I had a morphine pump implant which allowed me to go from a wheelchair to a walker and eventually a cane, which is where I am at today. The pump implants' catheter went directly into the base of my spine, so it wasn't as if it made me "high", but it did allow me to be able to get back onto my feet.
    When on narcotic medications like that, one gets real constipated....which leads to "giving birth" to what seem like watermelons. Needless to say I got real good with a plunger, and on the several occasions that failed I was able to rip the toilet out in under 10 minutes... take it outside and let the hose do the work! Even a new toilet that was "guaranteed" to flush was not a solution!
    The pump implant went in in 2005. In April '12 they had to replace it (batteries last 5-7 years) and not long afterward had to remove the new one due to a staph infection. To date I've been able to go without another one, but I don't know how long that will last as I have numerous inoperable spinal issues. The thing that pissed me off is that they came out with a medication to relieve the constipation maybe 18 months prior to me no longer having an implant..... my kids were young at the time and used to think my screaming & groaning was hilarious! Hell...if you can't laugh at yourself what's the point of living...right?
    Have a good one guys! Kirk
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014