GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Ok, Need a little advice ! belt is squeaky when cold ?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by JTWard, Oct 22, 2013.

1. JTWard

JTWard New Member

I've got a squeaky serpentine belt on my 1990 305ci. V8. The belt is new, but I can't get it to quiet down, any advice welcome ! :redface:
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

It may be a warn pulley somewhere. Check all the pulleys for any grinding feelings or any not smooth rotation.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Provided the pulley tension is correct the next step would be using some belt dressing, in a pinch you could run a bar of soap across the belt to quiet it.
    But since you say the belt is new check the tension first.
  4. JTWard

JTWard New Member

Ok, it's not so much a squeaky, it's more of a "Chirp" just quick little "chirps" till it's warm, belt is brand new ?
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

As stated above. I would remove the belt and start spinning the pulleys by hand. Chances are that you have a bad bearing in one of them. Then reinstall the belt and make sure it is properly tensioned. My ac belt tensioner pulley does the exact same thing you mentioned. I replaced it last fall with a gates pulley and it started making noise about halfway through the winter. I squirted some lube on it and it stops for a week or so. It is under warranty I just have not swapped it out yet.