Ok, Need a little advice ! belt is squeaky when cold ?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by JTWard, Oct 22, 2013.

1. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I've got a squeaky serpentine belt on my 1990 305ci. V8. The belt is new, but I can't get it to quiet down, any advice welcome ! :redface:

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

It may be a warn pulley somewhere. Check all the pulleys for any grinding feelings or any not smooth rotation.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Provided the pulley tension is correct the next step would be using some belt dressing, in a pinch you could run a bar of soap across the belt to quiet it.
    But since you say the belt is new check the tension first.

4. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

Ok, it's not so much a squeaky, it's more of a "Chirp" just quick little "chirps" till it's warm, belt is brand new ?

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

As stated above. I would remove the belt and start spinning the pulleys by hand. Chances are that you have a bad bearing in one of them. Then reinstall the belt and make sure it is properly tensioned. My ac belt tensioner pulley does the exact same thing you mentioned. I replaced it last fall with a gates pulley and it started making noise about halfway through the winter. I squirted some lube on it and it stops for a week or so. It is under warranty I just have not swapped it out yet.