1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ok, Need a little advice ! belt is squeaky when cold ?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by JTWard, Oct 22, 2013.

1. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I've got a squeaky serpentine belt on my 1990 305ci. V8. The belt is new, but I can't get it to quiet down, any advice welcome ! :redface:
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It may be a warn pulley somewhere. Check all the pulleys for any grinding feelings or any not smooth rotation.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Provided the pulley tension is correct the next step would be using some belt dressing, in a pinch you could run a bar of soap across the belt to quiet it.
    But since you say the belt is new check the tension first.
  4. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

Ok, it's not so much a squeaky, it's more of a "Chirp" just quick little "chirps" till it's warm, belt is brand new ?
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

As stated above. I would remove the belt and start spinning the pulleys by hand. Chances are that you have a bad bearing in one of them. Then reinstall the belt and make sure it is properly tensioned. My ac belt tensioner pulley does the exact same thing you mentioned. I replaced it last fall with a gates pulley and it started making noise about halfway through the winter. I squirted some lube on it and it stops for a week or so. It is under warranty I just have not swapped it out yet.