1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ok, so it's a typical clutch problem, but what is it..?..

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Springthing, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

Ok, I've a car with a manual transmission. Lately it's gotten to where when you let the clutch out it shudders quite a bit unless you give it more gas than should be necessary. I know it's not an uncommon problem and is just one of those things that happens with age. What needs to happen? New clutch?

....am I making an sense??
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts

I was reading a few sites about this. Check this SITE out.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

sounds like a worn out clutch or pressure plate to me. Either way, it's going to be a pain if it's a sideways-mounted engine. The entire motor and transmission will have to come out if it's a sideways engine
  4. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

Thanks to both. Darcy, nice find.

I think it may just be time for a new clutch to get the problem fixed and then be a step ahead.

Christopher- Not a sideways engine - it's for a mustang.

Thanks for the answers.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Sounds like clutch chatter which can be caused by a few things:
    Worn clutch engagement springs
    Worn clutch plate
    Hot spots or worn pressure plate
    or
    Improper release and engagement of the clutch

The repair for any or all of these is replacement of the clutch.
    You may be able to get your pressure plate resurfaced check first before buying a new one, depending on the car this could save you some money.
  6. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

If you are doing the work, don't skimp. Be sure to replace the pilot bushing and check the tranny seal for leaks and replace if necessary.