Old school sunroofs?

Discussion in 'Chevy Uplander & GM Minivan Forum' started by KidHauler, Apr 12, 2009.

1. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Has anyone ever added a sunroof to their van? Do aftermarkets still leak like they used to, or is that an installer thing? I was thinking of His and Hers and a big one in the middle of my '85 12 passenger.

Thanks,

2. Dezzmo

Dezzmo Member

Hi KidHauler,

I installed a sunroof on my 99 Express about 8 years ago and IMO they are a great addition to your vehicle.

Yes, mine did leak but as you menioned it IS an installer thing:lol: If you take your time and seal it properly you should not have any problems. I think the sealant that I used became brittle and therefore began leaking.

I put my sunroof in the front, right above the driver/passenger seats. But I think you might have a problem putting another in the middle of the roof. Is your roof completely flat? Most of the back of my roof has ridges. If yours does you may have a problem getting a tight seal. Take a look at your roof and let me know.

3. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Thanks, Dezzmo.

Yes, it is ridged all the way back, and I hadn't considered that! I guess that will limit my options, won't it?

Thanks, again,

4. Dezzmo

Dezzmo Member

Well at least you can put one in the front. Just remember to take your time when you do the install and you'll have yourself a nice addition to your van:great: