1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Old Tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 95C1500, Aug 14, 2012.

1. 95C1500

95C1500 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I currently have Michelin LTX M/S tires. My grandpa got them at 61,000 miles about 12 years ago. Are they reliable or should I save for new tires?
  2. Big_Mike

Big_Mike Member 100 Posts

I would recommend new tires, bud. I have a feeling that they are probably dry-rotted (check for cracks in the sidewall) being that old. And they have a fair amount of miles on them as well and depending on if they were properly inflated or not, the wear pattern may be uneven. That brings up another point, check the tread. One old trick to know if there is enough tread is to take a penny, hold it upside down and insert into the lowest part of the tread. If any part above Lincoln's head is showing, then it's time for new tires. Check out this link for further explanation: http://www.nascar.com/2007/auto/cct/11/20/car.care.penny.test/index.html
    Remember that tires are the most important part of a vehicle. It's your contact with the road, which effects vehicle control (braking, steering, acceleration, etc.) Hope that helps! And welcome to the site! Feel free to ask questions! It's the only way to get answers!
  3. 95C1500

I thought it was time to get new ones. I'm about to lift it and I'm going to get new anyways just figured I'd ask. And they only have 10,000 on them.

edit: speaking of the new tires, anyone running Goodyear Wrangler Authority from Walmart? Thay are cheap and look good.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  4. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Those 12 year old tires need to be replaced. BTW-my daughter in law just got Goodyear Tracker tires from Walmart on her Xterra. Not quite as smooth riding as the OEMs but they are very quiet on the highway. The good thing about buying tires from a place like Walmart is no matter where you travel you will always have support (should you need it) because small towns even in the middle of no where seem to have Walmarts!
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If you want some good tires on the cheap side Check out Craigslist. Just put the size you want in the search and see what you can find used. I did and got some good Tires to last me for the next 2 summers for $140.00
  6. 95C1500

I'll try craigslist. What size would equal a 32" tire on a 15" rim?
  7. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

At 12 years old, those tires NEED to be replaced. For most tire shops, 10 years old is the point at which they won't service your tires, be it rotate, balance or even check the air in them. Get some new ones or at least some used ones that are less than 10 years old.
  8. 95C1500

You're right. I took my flat to get repaired today and that's exactly what they told me. I'm going to get some Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires soon.
  9. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

265/75/15s comes to about 32". Had some on my 97 2wd. I put on Toyo A/T Open Country tires...smooth as glass and I never got stuck. I put I think around 30,000 on them when I had them and I had ALOT of tread left when I sold it. All they did was kill my gas mileage being that I had a V6 with probably high ratio gears.
  10. 95C1500

Stock height? lift? pics?