1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Older GMC 4WD conversion

Discussion in 'Medium-duty Truck Forum' started by PSIRockin07, Jan 30, 2014.

1. PSIRockin07

PSIRockin07 New Member

I found an 87 GMC R1500 2WD for 1500 or less. Fantastic shape, good mileage, not sure of the engine yet, but an easy swap due to truck age. Just wondering if a 4WD conversation is a feasible option. Especially considering the great price. The guy is selling it so cheap to pay for a new tranny for his actual work vehicle and needs the money to fix it. What do you guys think? Is it worth the price or should I keep looking? I really want a 4x4 diesel, but for the price is it worth messing with?

2. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Convert to 4x4?....In a word....NO, it isnt an easy swap....4x4s have a totally different frame, different floor in the cab. Keep looking for your 4x4. You could buy this and flip it to make some money