1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

older maybe??

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by vncj96, Nov 12, 2008.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i am thinking more and more about getting rid of the 99 and going to a 89-91 suburban, I know that I would look for a silverado package but are there any other differences from one to another and what would be better. i am really looking for something that I can lift easier and not have to worry about the leather or having a "nice" truck, something to throw the dogs and kids into, go camping and not worrying. I also would plan to rhino line the interior so that it can just get hosed out when i take it off roading

2. trenchwarfare

trenchwarfare Rockstar 100 Posts

I think that is a good idea. I love my 90. Are you thinking barn doors or tailgate?

3. vncj96

my current has the barn doors but I know the older burbans have a much thicker bar in the windows on the back, but I have heard horror stories regarding the tailgate with the roll-up windo, are some window in the tailgate manual or power

4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My friend had an 89 with barn doors, 4" lift and 35's. Nice Suburbans!

5. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Instead of going through all the hassle, why not just treat the current suburban as you would the other? I thought I was alone in thinking like that... If it's nice, I'd rather keep it nice and not have it trashed. If I want it trashed.. I'll buy a trashed one.

6. vncj96

Its not that I want to trash it its that I just want to be able to do certain things to it and the 99 is just to nice to do that. I want the interior out and rhino lined so the dogs cant rip up anymore interior and be able to treat it like a truck without having to buy a pickup, I cant afford to have the burban, a pickup, wifes car, and a comuter for me to drive back and forth for work. I like the idea of gutting from the second seats back, rhino ling and not having to worry about the muddy dogs or loading a bunch of RR ties into it and getting it dirty. Not to mention that to lift one of those is way cheaper then an IFS truck

7. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I say what ever makes you happy, DO IT. I think the idea of rhino lining the inside is great. If you can find an older one for a reasonable price that is worth investing you ideas in, go for it. It would suck to look back and wonder what if. I Say GO FOR IT.:great:

8. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't stop at '89. I'd consider going to '88 or older and get the solid front axle.