GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

On a Road Trip to Florida - From DFW to PENSACOLA

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Jul 18, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

just packed up the traverse, and we're on our way to the beach is a Florida.

actually we left earlier today, and right now we're outside of Alexandria Louisiana. got to spend the day tomorrow in New Orleans, and then off to the beaches of North Florida on Saturday.

right now getting nearly 22 miles per gallon, averaging 75 miles per hour cruise control.

We're headed here for a week.

navy-lodge-pensacola.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

And you did not stop up in NNJ??? Bummer have a safe and fun trip... Post pics...
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Gonna visit Christopher (Crawdaddy) and Charlie (Phoebeisis) on your way through Nola?
  4. ChevyFan

What's NNJ?

Yeah, about that. We're on a very tight timeline on the way out there, going to visit my parents in their RV in Hammond tomorrow and then look around tomorrow and head to Florida on Saturday AM.
  5. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Member

Safe travels to you and enjoy your trip!
  6. ChevyFan

Just going into Baton Rouge right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what's going on down on i10 but we got routed on lobdell Highway as an i10 incident alternative route.
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

nnj=North= jersey6 -`b`a`y!!
  8. ChevyFan

The roads are pretty good down here actually. We drove i20 out of dfw into Shreveport (stopping in Marshall Texas for dinner) and stayed the night in Pineville LA at a really very nice hotel called the Country Inn and Suites. That is a 2.5 star hotel and is by far the best one of that caliber that I've ever stayed at.

Right now we are stopped at the McDonald's on i10 between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. So far we have driven 514 miles and have used 24.2 gallons of gasoline so that makes (including the few times that we've speed for bathroom breaks, snacks and such) a total of 21.2 miles per gallon with an average speed of 53.2 miles per hour.

I think we have half of the insects from the state of louisanna on the front facia and grill.
  9. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

If your're going to Hammond, LA, be sure to say HI to some History's Swamp People!

Catch a big gator (whooooooo!!) while you're there, too! :D
  10. ChevyFan

actually went around Hammond. My folks are traveling around and they're staying in Hammond right now, and we met them in Downtown NO. We actually pulled into town and drove around looking for a place to park, they texted us where they were at and we drove there and met them.

NOLA is a nice enough city, but not really my cup of tea. I'm a go camping and get away from it all type of guy, maybe when i was 21 I would have liked in down there.

So, we're in Slidell, LA tonight and we'll be a short drive tomorrow AM to get to Pensacola.
  11. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Shoot-a TEXAN complaining about our-LOUISIANA bugs!! Some nerve!!!
    I should complain about your weather-Worst storms I was EVER IN-Texas between DFW and Amarillo on HY 287-and I have lived near NOLA for 50 years-many hurricanes hit and near misses-but for shear intensity-the near panhandle area-pretty bad!
    yeah-dry area-but HUGE spooky thunderstorms-

Pensacola and eastward- beautiful beaches- you will love it.
    Now Florida food-restaurants-nothing to brag about-your food-well at least you have good BARBOQUE and good mexican texican food in Texas-Florida panhandle food not great overpriced tourist restaurants(and the shrimp-might be Oriental(chinese etc) frozen farmed shrimp-not local gulf shrimp
    You do best just going to grocery-having ice chest-cheese milk oj bread bananas apples good ham cold cuts tomatoes peanut butter butter mayo mustard etc-tell the kids it is a picnic
    Of course I'm a cheap skate-so that colors my thinking
    But ice chest dining saves $$-yeah I'm cheap
    charlie
  12. ChevyFan

We're staying at least for a few days with a group at the Pensacola NAS guest lodging. Very nice but the beaches aren't really great for kids on base as they drop off like like crazy very quickly.

Nice to be near a large body of water and some sand though.

Ok all you Pensacola folks. What's there fun to do with kids around here?
  13. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Hey-not so great for kids-but you used to be able to walk thru old spanish american war era bunkers on the west end of the island
    You can drive down to Mobile-see tour the Battleship Alabama-and a sub and many planes tanks etc
    The beaches-nicer a few miles east-maybe 20 miles east-MUCH NICER for kids-shallow walk out 50 yards just up to waist

Hmmm other than the beaches-not much for kids-putt putt golf courses maybe??
  14. ChevyFan

Yeah. We are driving around today. We're down in Destin right now. Looks like it's going to have quite a few days of thunderstorms off and on. That's kind of a bummer.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some pics from the trip thus far.

20130719_124053.jpg 20130719_124100.jpg 20130719_131815.jpg 20130719_203126.jpg 20130719_203306.jpg 20130719_203311.jpg 20130720_115839.jpg 20130720_122647.jpg

Ok, you people in Slidell, LA. What's the deal with a small grocery store (I guess it's a chain?) called Cracker Barrel? That really took me for a drive down a couple of backroads to this small store ... then I had to find the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store RESTAURANT or whatever it's called. Got some good grub, just took a while.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I did drive the Traverse down Bourbon street! :)

20130720_181903.jpg 20130720_181910.jpg 20130720_181924.jpg 20130720_182136.jpg 20130720_213010.jpg 20130720_213017.jpg 20130721_133414.jpg 20130721_152110.jpg 20130721_152457.jpg 20130721_200816.jpg
  15. Megasaurus

Megasaurus Member

That's a crazy group of bugs on your front end, need to get to a car wash about that.
  16. ChevyFan

I was hoping that the rain would wash it all off, but they're getting caked on there.

- - - Updated - - -

It's down pouring here now, looks like it's part of a tropical storm and it's going to be very rainy now for the next few days. I think we're going to look for a "PLAN B" ... any ideas? We're thinking of coming back towards the Texas gulf coast, but that's a lot of driving though.
  17. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

We-NOLA- and most of Gulf Coast eastward
    have been getting PLENTY- too much-rain lately
    My damn roof-house-is leaking-3 " rain in 6 hrs-exposes any roof shortcomings

Hey those are TEXAS BUGS- I recognize them!!
    Yep Bourbon street-amazing how many people-during summer-not peak tourist season because of the freakin heat humidity- good crowd!!

It is usually best to hit the Florida Gulf Coast in May June-less rain- by July-Aug-we can get caught in the "rain every afternoon cycle"
    Yeah-rain on a vacation-with kids-no fun
    We are driving to Flagstaff -8-3-13-
    It is AZ's Monsoon Season-no kidding they actually call it monsoon season
    It amounts to maybe a hard rain for 30 minutes-1.5 hrs-then sun comes out-and EVERYTHING is dry in 1 hr
    Nothing like LA and Gulf Coast all freakin day rains-and sure as heck it doesn't have the end of world wind thunder lightening tornadoes the Texas panhandle area or near panhandle -dry area with nasty weather

Yeah-rain on vacation-at the beach-with kids- not a happy experience
  18. ChevyFan

We're going to hit some of the museums around here tomorrow and then it looks like the thunderstorms and rain will have passed by us. Might take a look at the Mueseum of Naval Aviation on base here as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like the weather is a bit nicer today. Maybe we'll stay after all.
  19. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Hey
    That museum was pretty good-very good -in the mid 1990's when I was last there.
    The weather here-200 miles west- is also better-dryer
  20. ChevyFan

Weather is nice now. This has been a very good vacation! I think we'll come back again.

Only sour note, we took a boat ride out in the Gulf to enjoy the water and see some dolphins. The "Captain" was maybe 25 years old and he ventured out into the Gulf. Well, that boat pitched very hard and several people fell down including my wife who was on the stairs and she fell about 5 steps while holding our 2 year old. Ended up with a swollen leg and is very sore. I'm not going to mention the boat operator, just be careful when out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, this poor kid was stuck up in the air on a failed zipline ride for at least 8 or 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEcpvVJDKLM