On Board Battery charger?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by chevytrucknutzo, Jun 21, 2012.

1. chevytrucknutzo

chevytrucknutzo New Member

I have an Auxiliary battery installed in my truck. I havea 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500. I'm running dual optima yellow top's. Out where Ilive we have hot freaking summers 105+ and 10 degrees or less is easily scenein the winter dead batteries are common. Batteries don’t last that long. I havea battery solenoid type battery isolator that is activated by a switch wired tomy dash. I have been looking into an on board charger. I have checked out acouple different 12v to 12v on board 3 stage charging systems. Has anybody hadany experience with these types of systems? Does anybody have any recommendations?

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't understand; is your alternator failing to charge both batteries?

3. steved

steved Former Member

If it were me, I'd be looking into a marine charger that would do probably less than 5 amps...as was previously noted, unless your charging system is faulty or you have a significant drain on the system when the truck is off; you should be starting you "charging" with fully charged batteries, and just maintaining them. I would also look into battery blankets...to help keep them warm in winter. The marine chargers are weather tight, vibration proof, etc...perfect for under hood.

Optima batteries are not a good choice for a starting battery in my experience...from what I've seen, a good auto battery like a Deka will last longer and start harder than an Optima. I had factory dual batteries in my Cummins, it saw every state in the contiguous US; and every type of weather from -30*F in the Rockies and feet of snow to 115*F+ in the Texas panhandle to hurricanes. Those were Deka batteries, they were over five years old and had well over 150k on them when I traded that truck...they never missed a beat in all that time.

I would probably inspect the charging system first, look for a ignition-off draw, then suspect the batteries...