Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

On Board Battery charger?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by chevytrucknutzo, Jun 21, 2012.

1. chevytrucknutzo

chevytrucknutzo New Member

I have an Auxiliary battery installed in my truck. I havea 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500. I'm running dual optima yellow top's. Out where Ilive we have hot freaking summers 105+ and 10 degrees or less is easily scenein the winter dead batteries are common. Batteries don’t last that long. I havea battery solenoid type battery isolator that is activated by a switch wired tomy dash. I have been looking into an on board charger. I have checked out acouple different 12v to 12v on board 3 stage charging systems. Has anybody hadany experience with these types of systems? Does anybody have any recommendations?

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't understand; is your alternator failing to charge both batteries?

3. steved

steved Former Member

If it were me, I'd be looking into a marine charger that would do probably less than 5 amps...as was previously noted, unless your charging system is faulty or you have a significant drain on the system when the truck is off; you should be starting you "charging" with fully charged batteries, and just maintaining them. I would also look into battery blankets...to help keep them warm in winter. The marine chargers are weather tight, vibration proof, etc...perfect for under hood.

Optima batteries are not a good choice for a starting battery in my experience...from what I've seen, a good auto battery like a Deka will last longer and start harder than an Optima. I had factory dual batteries in my Cummins, it saw every state in the contiguous US; and every type of weather from -30*F in the Rockies and feet of snow to 115*F+ in the Texas panhandle to hurricanes. Those were Deka batteries, they were over five years old and had well over 150k on them when I traded that truck...they never missed a beat in all that time.

I would probably inspect the charging system first, look for a ignition-off draw, then suspect the batteries...