? on removing jack container

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by GaryG, Mar 13, 2010.

1. GaryG

GaryG Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 98, an my jack is still underneath the bench seat in the back, how do I remove the plastic box? I saw one bolt to remove, but then there is the rod with a nut at the bottom of it, which isnt coming loose. Besides those 2 isn't there anything else that is holding it down?

Reason I'm asking is because I just got a sub box, 2 subs an a amp for free (I work at a car dealership, an the vehicle it came out of was traded in)

2. chevorletvol

chevorletvol New Member

i have the exact same problem. did you figure it out?

3. GaryG

GaryG Rockstar 100 Posts

i havent had time to mess with it. 11/32 wrench might work but there isnt much space to get to the nut, that stud is the only thing holding me back right now

4. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

i know that stud that holds the lid down can come loose, i have had to tighten it down, the very top of it is actually a hex head bolt as i do remember you have to unscrew at the the top of that rod as i can remember

5. GaryG

GaryG Rockstar 100 Posts

If its that easy I'm going to slap myself for not looking at the top LOL I would check tonight but I have wheels sitting in the back

6. GaryG

GaryG Rockstar 100 Posts

Problem! I don't have a hex head on mine. Anything else I can do? If not I'm just going to destroy the box until I get it out of my way. I'm tired of having my subs in sight

7. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 98 extended cab as well, i removed my jack box to make more room in the cab for among other things, subs as well. what i did was got a good sharp set of vice grips, locked em on as tight as i could, and turned that rod out. it took a couple trys, but once i had a nice flat spot at the top the pliers eventually grabbed good enough.