1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

? on removing jack container

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by GaryG, Mar 13, 2010.

1. GaryG

GaryG Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 98, an my jack is still underneath the bench seat in the back, how do I remove the plastic box? I saw one bolt to remove, but then there is the rod with a nut at the bottom of it, which isnt coming loose. Besides those 2 isn't there anything else that is holding it down?

Reason I'm asking is because I just got a sub box, 2 subs an a amp for free (I work at a car dealership, an the vehicle it came out of was traded in)
  2. chevorletvol

chevorletvol New Member

i have the exact same problem. did you figure it out?
  3. GaryG

GaryG Rockstar 100 Posts

i havent had time to mess with it. 11/32 wrench might work but there isnt much space to get to the nut, that stud is the only thing holding me back right now
  4. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

i know that stud that holds the lid down can come loose, i have had to tighten it down, the very top of it is actually a hex head bolt as i do remember you have to unscrew at the the top of that rod as i can remember
  5. GaryG

GaryG Rockstar 100 Posts

If its that easy I'm going to slap myself for not looking at the top LOL I would check tonight but I have wheels sitting in the back
  6. GaryG

GaryG Rockstar 100 Posts

Problem! I don't have a hex head on mine. Anything else I can do? If not I'm just going to destroy the box until I get it out of my way. I'm tired of having my subs in sight
  7. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 98 extended cab as well, i removed my jack box to make more room in the cab for among other things, subs as well. what i did was got a good sharp set of vice grips, locked em on as tight as i could, and turned that rod out. it took a couple trys, but once i had a nice flat spot at the top the pliers eventually grabbed good enough.