1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

On Star and Black Box - Tracking concerns

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by SurrealOne, Jan 7, 2013.

1. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I worked for the local phone company; years ago, we could listen in on any conversation that we wanted, it was illegal, but that didn't stop people from doing it. They were land lines; then along came cell phones, anyone with a scanner could listen to conversations. Then we went digital (land and mobility) it made "ease-dropping" a little more difficult, if not impossible.
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

These are all reasons that almost kept me from buying a GM product. The way they wired the newer GM vehicles Onstar is wired into everything. I would like to pull it out of my truck but 1. it is still under warranty 2. I am not sure I would be able to because of the way everything is wired through it.
    I leave my cell phone at the house more than I have it with me. And when it is with me I am at work. LOL
  3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If you can't remove it, then block it. I would just assume that I am going to figure in the cost of my next truck an extra $2500 for a copper or lead cloth to interfere with the transmission of data to their data center.

I also wonder if someone with a Tech II or MDI could force On-Start to be turned off at the vehicle level where they cannot turn it on with out being connected directly to the vehicle through the OBD II port.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Disconnecting the gps and cellular antenna leads from the unit should be easy. I don't know if it would throw any codes, but I doubt it. It doesn't entirely resolve the issue but if you then wrap it in copper or lead its range is effectively nil.
  5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I think this stuff would work:

• 10 mil copper foil
    • 5Ft x 24 inches
    • $102 + shipping

http://www.nimrodhall.com/10mil.php

You know something, not to go overboard on it.... but while copper is expensive, at those prices, I would be temped to copper shield the engine compartment and the cab of the truck and then dyno mat over it to protect all the internal electronics....

(I am thinking along the lines of someone trying to use an EMP pulse to stall the vehicle......)
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The foil would be fine but you wouldn't need nearly that much of it. a 2ft x 1ft sheet should be enough to just wrap the OnStar unit.
  7. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

If you want to disable OnStar, just pull the power lead to the OnStar module. IIRC, it's under the radio in the dash on the NNBS Silverados.
  8. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Aluminum foil works fine and is much cheaper.

I'm not worried about law enforcement abuses of onstar nearly as much as I am worried about law enforcement abuses of license plate reader data.
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

On my old Envoy, the OnStar box was a metal can (probably grounded). As long as the antennas is connected, no amount of foil will shield it.

Years ago, drivers worried about the paper ticket that was given on toll roads. Time stamped when passed to you, time stamped when you turned it. Easy to tell if you were speeding.