1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

One Channel Is Weak

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Tom Evans, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Tom Evans

Tom Evans Rockstar

I just looked at a 2002 Suburban. The sound system worked well except that the right rear channel volume was weaker that the others. The sound was not distorted, just lower in volume.

Has anyone had experience with this? Could it be the speaker? Could it be the radio itself.

I also noticed that there was only one large speaker in the rear (sub woofer?) on the left side. Could it be that the right rear channel only drives the higher frequency sounds and not the sub woofer; hence, the difference in volume?

Thanks.

Tom
  2. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro Rockstar 100 Posts

Its possible that the truck had an upgrade potion for a 7 (example) speaker option which includes a subwoofer and if it did, usually theres no HPF and LPF (high & Low pass filters) meaning that you dont have the option for only low frequencies to only come out of the subwoofer, or the other way around, and so it makes it louder on one side.(in your case the left.)
  3. Tom Evans

Tom Evans Rockstar

That's what I thought might be the case since the sound was not distorted. A bad speaker or bad amplifier channel usually will have distortion.

I take delivery tomorrow so I'll get to check it out!
  4. Tom Evans

Tom Evans Rockstar

I just pulled the door panel off. It was a bad 6" speaker, not the radio. The best price I can find fro a replacement speaker is about $55.

Anybody know of a place that can beat $55 for a new speaker?
  5. Tom Evans

Tom Evans Rockstar

I answered my own question. A speaker popped up on eBay this morning for $27. I snagged it quickly.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That's awesome!

Your original post said "I just looked at a 2002 ..." But, if you're buying speakers .. it's yours now?
  7. Tom Evans

Tom Evans Rockstar

Yes. I bought it a week ago.