1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

One More Rear End Question

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Tom Evans, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Tom Evans

Tom Evans Rockstar

The shop has started rebuilding my rear end. It's a 2002 1500 Surburban with limited slip differential. They are going to add the GM additive (GM PN 1052358) before I pick up the rear end. Their salesman said that with this additive, I didn't need to use 75W-90 synthetic oil, but could use any name brand 75W-90 oil which complied with GL5 specs.

GM recommends synthetic oil in the owner's manual, but makes no mention of the additive.

If I have the additive, do I need to use synthetic gear lube?

Thanks.

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you have the G80 you don't need any additive. The easy way to tell is jack up your rear end with the trans in park.E Brake off. If you can turn one wheel and the other turns backwards you do not need any additive. If you can't turn one wheel or the other in park you need an additive. All rear diffs can use synthetic fluid. It is more expensive and worth the extra cost.

3. LURCH

LURCH Rockstar

X 2 !!!!!!!!

4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

What they said

5. Tom Evans

Tom Evans Rockstar

Let me put it another way. I think they may have already finished the rear end rebuild. If they have, they have probably squirted the additive in the rear end. The question now is will the additive do any harm with synthetic gear oil?

6. LURCH

LURCH Rockstar

I use it with my Amsoil syn. 75/90.

7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

No it wont do any harm