1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Online Database?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Devil Doc, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Devil Doc

Devil Doc New Member

Good Day Everyone,

I recently retired after 24 years as a FMF Corpsman. I moved to Alaska and just recently got my hands on a 1989 Chevy Suburban 4X4 with a 350 V8. I tried entering the V.I.N in the search bar, but just came up with a report that costs $10. Can anyone point me to a place that I can find out about this vehicle? For example, rear end differential and things of that sort. Any help will be appreciated. I do plan on doing a build, but I need to know what I'm starting with.

Thank you for your time.

Jeff
  2. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Member ROTM Winner

Stop at your local chevy dealer and provide them with the vin and they will print you a free build sheet
  3. Devil Doc

Devil Doc New Member

Thanks Kyle,
    My situation will not lend to that, hence trying for an online database. I live in a remote part of Alaska that is about 100 mils from a dealership. I sold my car before coming up here, so until I get the Suburban on the road, I won't be able to do that.

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a pic of what I'm working with.

IMG_0315A.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Just got off the phone with A Chevy dealership, they stated that 1989 was too old to be in the system?
  4. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Member ROTM Winner

Maybe you could try emailing them. Usually if they have good customer service they're willing to lend a hand. I don't know when they began putting option codes in the glove box but if you have yours you might be able to find a decoder that will explain what you have. Hope this helps!
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

If you're trying to figure out what options the truck came with, pull the RPO codes off the sticker in the glovebox. It's a bunch of 3-character codes that relate to options installed. Between those codes you'll get a pretty solid idea of what it has other than stuff that was installed by previous owners.

The older Suburbans like that are pretty straightforward and easy to work on and parts are really easy and cheap to obtain. Pretty much the entire drivetrain was used for well over 20 years unchanged. I have a 1991 which was the last year of your bodystyle. I'll answer whatever I can about them.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

go to compnine.com. Sign up for the free trail and enter your vin. I think that you get 24 hours free. I did it and then just copy and pasted the build list into a word document and saved it.
  7. Devil Doc

Devil Doc New Member

Thanks Pikey, it seems Murphy is running against me, this is what I got. "Sorry, that VIN isn't in the system.

Make sure you've typed it correctly, then try again."

1GNEV16K4KF125631 is my V.I.N

These are the RPO codes I found in the glove compartment.

129.5 CV10906

AK9/AS3/AT5/AV3/A31/A33/A52/BC3/BY1/B30/B32/B33/B85
    B96/CD4/CMD/C49/C5W/C60/DIU/D45/E5Z/E55/E6C/E9Z/F51
    CQ1/GU6/G80/JB5/K34/K60/L05/MD8/MX0/NA5/NE2/NK3/N33
    N67/SLM/TR9/TT4/T63/UA1UM6/UN9/VP8/V73/VE5/VG3/VG5
    V22/V73/XHB/X6Z/YD3/YD5/YD6/YE9/YG3/YHB/ZHB/ZQ2/ZY4
    20L/77A/82D/82I/96V

WAEM WA-L8555 U8867 ASTRP 82D
    ORDER NO. 823C2M

I also see that some people put these codes in their signature line, "
    350TBI/4L80E/NP241/10B/14BSF." How do I find out what mine are? Where do I go to get this info?

Thanks everyone for your time and responses, it is much appreciated.

Jeff

L05 says this "
    L05 ENGINE GAS, 4 CYL, 2.0L, 1TBI
    L05 ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 5.7L, 1TBI, V8"

NE2 says this "
    NE2 FUEL TANK 68L, 18 GAL, PLASTIC
    NE2 FUEL TANK 151L, 40 GAL"

How do I know which one applies to me?

CQ1 FLEET INCENTIVE CHEMCENTRAL (B/C/G/H/W)

HUH???
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  8. Crawdaddy

You can look up the RPO codes here: http://www.gm-trucks.com/rpo-code-lookup/?find=diu

The codes you're referencing in other people's signatures are just shorthand for major drivetrain parts. In the example you gave, it's a Chevy Small Block 350 with throttle-body injection, a 4L80E transmission, New Process 241 transfer case, GM 10-bolt front axle, and a GM 14 bolt semi-floating rear axle. So, you have a 350TBI, a 700R4 transmission if it's a half ton or 4L80E if it's a 3/4 ton, probably a 10 bolt front axle (most common), a 10 bolt rear axle if it's a half ton or a GM 14 bolt if it's a 3/4 ton truck.

You most certainly have the 40 gallon tank. I'm almost positive that's the only tank option for that year, but if there was a smaller one, it would be a 26 gallon.

I'm not sure what CQ1 stands for, but it looks like the truck was built on the assembly line to be used in Chemcentral's fleet. GM gave better prices and special non-standard option configurations to fleet owners. For example, the Army bought 80s Chevy Blazers with 6.2L diesels and TH400 transmissions, neither of which could be purchased by the average consumer from Chevy.
  9. Devil Doc

Devil Doc New Member

Crawdaddy, thank you for that info. I'm trying to get up to speed with all this. What makes it harder is that there is little I can find out there, except for what people can divulge. Is there a way for me to confirm what I actually have? What I mean, can I find a code or something on these items that help differentiate one from another? For instance the rear end, how can I tell which one I have? I'm not sure which one is even stock on a 1/2 ton 4wd 1989 suburban.
  10. Crawdaddy

Information for these older trucks is definitely getting harder to find. Considering the truck is 25 years old, there is a lot that could have been changed over the years between the factory and you. Use clues to determine if things have been changed. For example, look at the engine. Are there wiring harnesses that look like they don't exactly belong where they are, or can you see the edges of the head gasket sticking out? If so, there's a decent chance the engine's been rebuilt or at least had the heads pulled. Bolts missing is the classic hallmark of things being worked on.

To answer your question about the rear end (and axles in general). The reason GM axles are called 10-bolt, 12-bolt, or 14-bolt is that the number correspond to the number of bolts in the cover on the differential. This is applicable for all GM trucks and most cars from the 60s all the way up to present. If it's a half-ton truck, it will most likely have a 10-bolt axle. 12-bolts are pretty rare and shouldn't have appeared from the factory under a Suburban. 14-bolt axles would be under 3/4 ton Suburbans.

One thing I advise you do is contact GM for a restoration packet. Essentially, it's just all the sales literature that was available for your year truck. They're somewhat poor copies, but mine are perfectly legible and go over all the major specifications and options available for the truck for that year. Using my restoration packet, I've been able to determine what the differences between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton are to be able to essentially turn my 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton. Here's the contact info:

GM Restoration Packet can be obtained FREE, by Calling: in the U.S. 1-800/222-1020
    Canada 800-263-3777 and Internationally: 904-444-2566
    or write:
    GM Customer Service
    Chevrolet
    P.O. Box 33170
    Detroit, Michigan 48232-5170