Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Onstar Remote Start

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by DRuben, Jul 22, 2012.

1. DRuben

DRuben New Member

Hello everyone, my truck doesnt have remote start and I just learned how to use the Onstar app. Is there anyway to get remote start (maybe by dealer) and have it available on the onstar app?
  2. RFoster130

RFoster130 Member

I'm sure you can add it, but it won't be cheap. Maybe someone else will know the price. The app is great though, I use it all the time on my 2012 Tahoe.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You"ll need to buy a key fob that has the start button on it and you can get the truck programmed by the dealer.
    You might not even need the key fob.
    GM parts on here usually has a good deal on remote fobs.
  4. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm pretty sure your GM vehicle has to be 2011 or newer for the on star app to work. If you can get it on your truck, you will love it. I use mine on my iPhone all the time
  5. DRuben

DRuben New Member

My truck is a 2011 and the app works but I just want the remote start also. My cousin has the app with his impala and uses it to start his car but my truck only has the; lock door, unlock door, horn and lights, stop horn and lights...
  6. tbplus10

The App works on select other model years too depending on how their equiped, I have it loaded on our phones for my wifes 08 HHR.
  7. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Rockstar 100 Posts

Good to know, so much for what the dealer told me

8. tbplus10

It's been a while since I loaded it on our phones but somewhere during the setup it lists different model vehicles it'll work on.
    Also even if you dont have remote start on the vehicle theres other features on the app you can access.
  9. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I am just waiting for some crazy hacker to break the onstar app........ If and when I get my new tuck.... the onstar module will be removed from the truck. Imagine the power that would give somone.... they could start all the vehicles, set their alarms off all at once, get your vin numbers, etc. It would actually be kind of funny. Go into a parking deck and all the GM vehicles alarms are going off at once..... lol
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I tore out the OnStar module not too long after they changed their privacy policy. I didn't like the idea of OnStar tracking my vehicle and logging data about it even if I wasn't paying them to do so; that's just a bit too 'big brother' for my taste...