Onstar Remote Start

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by DRuben, Jul 22, 2012.

1. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I asked the dealer to take my onstar out of my truck when I bought it and they refused. Now that my trial for my onstar is ending they interupt my music when Im driving down the road to push the blue button, they call my cell phone wich I answered one time and told them I dont want it and to not call me again. I also get emails from them telling me that my subscription is ending soon. This stuff forced down our throats is bullcrap. How much did I pay for something I didnt want. Anyone need a onstar module?? Ive got a 2011 model for sale if anyone can tell me how to remove it without any other consequences.:grrrrrr::lol:

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I did a write-up for how to disconnect it on 99-06 Silverados/Sierras. The NNBS models should not be terribly different (if different, at all), as I understand the unit is located in the same place. It's a 3 minute operation and completely reversible, just make sure you mark which plugs go where (prior to disconnecting anything) if you think you'll be reconnecting it. My notes mention this, too...

Write-Up: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...r-in-Onstar-equipped-99-06-Silverados-Sierras

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  3. DRuben

DRuben New Member

Logging data? Please tell me more...

4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Thanks Surreal, Im going to look into doing that. How do you get a lifetime Sirius account??

5. SurrealOne

This was all over the news in late 2011: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20109223-1/new-onstar-privacy-policy-expands-on-data-sharing/

Here's a small quote from that article:
    "...this data includes, among many other things, the anonymous aspects of your location, speed, safety belt usage and your credit card information. If you accept the new statement, then third-party marketers, "with whom OnStar contracts with to conduct joint marketing initiatives," also get to access a pool of data from OnStar users..."

Pay for it. When the company was brand spanking new lifetime accounts were something it advertised, and they came with all channels offered and even allowed online listening (though it's not the CD-quality level they have, now). It's been a good deal for me, as 5.5 years of the premium level account would have cost me 2.5 times what I paid for the lifetime account in 2006.

These days you can still get a lifetime account but you have to call in and ask about it. Changing sat radios can be done a maximum of three times with a lifetime account and there's a $75.00 charge each time you do it. I don't know if it's availabile for XM or not, but I'd think so given that XM merged with Siriurs in 2008...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I thought you had to pay for onstar to be able to use the GM app. I just don't see where the $40 a month is worth the abilty to start my truck from a great distance.

7. SurrealOne

I can see unlocking it ... as in the significant other is a great distance away and locks her keys in the vehicle. Starting it is a different matter, LOL.

8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I believe you do need an active OnStar account to use the app. After downloading the app. we've used it once or twice playing with it, I dont like the idea of starting my car or unlocking doors when I'm not close enough to see it.

9. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

AFAIK, the app works by calling the vehicle, therefore, you would need an active Onstar cell phone number and, I assume, an active Onstar account.

BTW, Onstar have changed their policy regarding data collection. They claim, it is no longer being done.

10. RFoster130

RFoster130 Member

I think it's kinda funny how many people spend hundreds to thousands on wheels and other mods but then say they don't use onstar because it costs too much. It's $200 a year for the basic or $300 if you choose the directions and connections plan. That plan is way more cost effective than the 2000 upgrade to nav. To me, it's worth every penny. I get the GM family price that saves 50 bucks. That makes the best plan 249. Then it saves me $100 a year on my insurance. So really it's a total cost of 149 a year. Well worth that in my opinion for everything it does. Just my opinion though.