1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Onstar Remote Start

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by DRuben, Jul 22, 2012.

1. RFoster130

RFoster130 New Member

I've got small kids and it's nice to strt it and let it cool off as I'm walking across the mall. Beats putting them in it when's it's 140 degrees.
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

What exactly does using Onstar get you? The only time it would be of use is if you came out right after your car/truck was stolen. Than you may be able to get your ride back with little to no damage. If your car is stolen at night I would bet a large number of them would be wrecked or stripped by the time you realize it is missing. So what did Onstar do for you?
    The only useful thing to me for Onstar is for the wife's ride. If she gets into accident at night while she is coming home from work. The road usually has few cars at that time of night. I don't need there turn by turn I could get a GPS. I don't need remote unlock I have a key and a backup.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

I still don't trust them with my data ... so I don't give it to them. It's hard to get data from a unit that's not only absent from the truck, but run through a metal shredding machine. :)

$2000.00 for a nav? Sure, if you compare it to factory I suppose. However, an aftermarket, in-dash Nav with bluetooth, steering controls, and all the bells/whistles runs nowhere near $2000.00. At $300.00/yr for the upgraded Onstar my in-dash nav, wiring for it, and alarm with remote start pay for themselves in three years, after which it's pure win for me.

I can start my car from up to a mile away ... and lock/unlock it ... and check temperature in the cab ... and a host of other fun things I don't even bother with. That's with the fob ... there's also an app for it but I don't use it because sometimes I leave my phone in the console safe ... and that'd be bad. Also my Nav is Garmin's turn-by-turn, which I like far and above anything else I've used.

So, OnStar yields no features I want ... and snoops into my privacy, which I don't want. Useless gimmick, to me. If I were married maybe I'd find value in it akin to what Alox mentioned ... but I'm not so I don't.

Surreal

P.S. I was not one of those who said it costs too much. However, in terms of return on investment ... based on use of aftermarket upgrades instead of paying way too much for the factory nav ... I agree that OnStar costs too much.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts

I would almost pay to not have it in my vehicle. I have no use for the phone(Ive got a smartphone that can bluetooth to my radio) Ive got navigation in my phone with turn by turn instruction, If someone steals my truck my Insurance will cover it wether they find it or not. And I dont need the possibility of anyone listening in to my conversations in the cab of my truck irregardless if I am doing anything wrong or not. I know someone in particular that had a few drinks and decided to drive home. I know..I know he should not have been drinking and driving. Well anyway he had the trial period still on his new vehicle and he had swerved to miss a deer on his way home and ended up hitting a curb pretty hard. He got out to inspect to see if he had any damage to his vehicle and at that same time onstar was trying to get a hold of him due to a shock sensor apparently alerting them of a possible crash. Well he never responded because he was outside of his vehicle and low and behold he was cuffed and stuffed for a .06 bac and got DWAI. I dont think he has onstar anymore.
  5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

Its not that onstar is $200 (well, its not worth that to me). But it is no ones business where I am driving and to perform an illegal search of what ever data my vehicle is generating. I can use a private GPS to determine where I am at, the kenwood ones are actually pretty nice. and if I really am worried about someone driving off with my truck, I can spend the $200 on a private GPS tracking system mounted someone on the truck were I can track my truck when I need to, not when big brother thinks they need to.
  6. RFoster130

RFoster130 New Member

I didn't say any of you had to agree with me. I don't care if you like it or not. I said I was just giving my opinion on why I choose to use it.
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Hmmmm, a lot of paranoid people on this thread.

Most of the things we appear to be worrying about are illegal, NO ONE can legally listen to your conversation, inside the truck, or inside your home. It's a cell phone; do we worry about people, or machines, listening to us by accessing the cell phone on our hip?
  8. the phantom

And I believe thats all we were doing was giving our opinion, If we all agreed here then this would be a pretty boring place. Enough said.
  9. the phantom

Since it is illegal does not mean that it is not done. Anytime something is transmitted wirelessly it can and will be listened to. I know this for a fact because I have listened to people on cell phones and cordless phones with a scanner my stepfather built about 5 years ago. Caught an ex-girlfriend cheating on me with this scanner. she was sitting in her house talking on her cordless phone. LOL Illegal..?? Probably.. Maybe she should have been paranoid.:sign0020: All computer searches are logged for various reasons and I do them in my own home. Paranoid of a machine?? Maybe a little depending on what im searching. :lol:Laws never stop the government from doing anything they want to do. Anyone would be niave to think this doesnt happen because it is illegal.
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

I work in the computer security field and as the saying goes, a little bit of healthy paranoia goes a long, long way. The time to worry about what is/isn't done with data that pertains to you is BEFORE something is done with it -- as it's too late to do after the fact. As for illegal, OnStar's data logging is NOT illegal and here's there current privacy policy: https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/privacy

Some fun tidbits from it:
    ----------
    "The information we may get from your car includes:

• information about your car's operation, including such things as diagnostic trouble codes, oil life remaining, tire pressure, fuel economy and odometer readings;
    • information about collisions involving your car, the direction from which your car was hit, which air bags have deployed, and safety belt usage;
    • information about your use of the car and its features, such as whether you have paired a mobile device with your car) ;
    • information about when your car's ignition is turned on or off and when your fuel is refilled; and
    • in the limited circumstances listed below, the location and approximate GPS (global positioning satellite) speed of your car:
      • when there is a request for service made from inside your car (for example when you request driving directions);
      • when there is an airbag deployment or automatic crash response (so we can inform emergency service providers);
      • when there is a request for Stolen Vehicle Assistance (to assist law enforcement in the recovery of your car);
      • when needed to protect the safety of you or others (for example, to locate a missing person);
      • when needed by us or our suppliers for our quality, research or troubleshooting purposes; or
      • as may be required by law.
    If you use Hands-Free Calling minutes, we may obtain certain Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) such as call detail records, the number of minutes purchased, the date minutes were purchased, the number of remaining minutes, and their expiration date. We do not share CPNI information specific to you with third parties for their marketing purposes."
    ----------

Why do they care when you refilled? Can they use your tire pressure against you if it was low and there was an accident? Can your insurance provider deny a claim if OnStar says your saftey belt was not in use yet you claim it was used (despite the belief that computers are never wrong ... they often are)? Can the GPS speed of your vehicle be used to deny a claim? Who decides when the GPS speed of your vehicle should be used to protect you or the safety of others? Who decides when the GPS speed of your vehicle is needed by OnStar or its suppliers for 'research'? Do you want OnStar to have your call detail records?

Asking these sorts of questions is not paranoid ... it's prudent, thoughtful planning -- something society (as a whole) seems to lack, these days. They are very fair questions and anyone interested in protecting his/her privacy SHOULD have read the OnStar privacy policy and decided if they want OnStar to have such data EVEN IF they are not OnStar subscribers. After all, OnStar collects this whether or not you are subscribed. Someone who removes OnStar from the equation has also removed concerns about such questions from the equation.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012