Onstar

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Matthew Kenney, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Matthew Kenney

Matthew Kenney New Member

Is there anyway to install onstar in a non equipped 2006 Chevy silverado Crew cab LT1?

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If you have the money you can do anything. Years ago I tried to get Onstar installed in my '96 'burb when Onstar first came out, I think it was 1998 and the GM dealer said it couldn't be done. Might be differant now, I'd call your dealer or go on Onstars website. Let us know.

3. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I would also recommend contacting your local dealership for more information. They are the best resource to assist you with your question. Please feel free to keep me informed either on the thread or via private message regarding the situation. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

4. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

Onstar is coming out with a new unit (suppose to be out in Spring 2011.. so any day now?) that is an aftermarket setup and will work in any vehicle. $299 plus installation.. it's called the "Onstar FMV"

It basically consists of a new rear-view mirror and looks like some wiring.. everything else is self-contained inside the unit.. and you will get the "Automatic Crash Response", "Remote Door Unlocking", "Hands-Free Calling", "Turn-by-Turn Navigation", and "Stolen Vehicle Location".

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/03/18/onstars-retail-unit-gets-named-fmv-great-for-when-you-fml/

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

We have Onstar in the Silverado and Trailblazer. I like it in my wifes T/Blazer when she travels, just that extra security. Back in '06 I came up to a bad accident (log truck vs mini van) where nobodys cell phones could get out, hit the Onstar and they put me through to the local 911. Worked great.