1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

OPEN DISCUSSION - Updating GMTC layout, theme, front-page and more

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Jan 30, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I've got some plans to update GMTC over the next two to three months and I wanted to get some feedback from people on the site. What do you like, what do you not like, what would you like to see added?

We are still going to use the current platform for what we have now, but I want to add a more robust front-page system so we can have real articles that are not just glorified posts added to a mock-front page. I want to look at issues like screen-width, etc. There are some things that I know I must do, like limit the signature photo sizes, but there are things that we can talk about like adding links back into siggys as well.

So, let's have an OPEN, HONEST and FRIENDLY discussion.

Any spam, personal attacks, flaming or off-topic conversation in here will be removed.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I like the way the forum is laid out. Screen width is good to me. I would like to see a return of the chat system.
  3. barefoot greg

barefoot greg New Member

I've been a member for 2 years and I still barely know where anything is! lol

Just today it took me about 20 minutes to remember how to start my own post thread lol. If you go changing it i'll be hopeless!

One thing I really like about the site is the color scheme. The white and blue is easy on the eyes and easy to see/ read.

When thinking about new mods its common for me to do a google image search for what I'm thinking about doing, and often i'll be redirected to a forum where the image was originally uploaded. One thing i can't stand is when the site is over the top with colors like black and red that make it next to impossible to read more than a paragraph before rubbing your eyes.

If you do wind up changing the site, keep less than computer savvy individuals like myself in mind and try to keep it as user friendly as possible.

-BFG-
  4. Goldie

Goldie Active Member 1000 Posts

Keep the color layout the same. It truly is easy to read.

Just to emphasize what BFG said...
    If you do wind up changing the site, keep less than computer savvy individuals like myself in mind and try to keep it as user friendly as possible.
  5. I second keeping the color scheme the same as well asbringing back the chat system.

I would like to see a better, more functional mobile version of the mobile site. The current version makes it a bit difficult to find current threads.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

My thoughts:

• Maintain colour scheme
    • Bring back reliable chat that allows for group and individual chat sessions like the last one did (and make sure its sessions DO NOT time out if pages are not refreshed within 2 hours ... like the last one did)
    • Move to variable width format with 1024x768 being minimum standard supported for computer users (1024x768 is so mid-90's in today's world of large, wide format, flatscreen monitors that are cheap -- so it's reasonable as a minimum)
    • Much like Google does, provide a mobile format and have the site detect mobile devices to account for tablets, smartphones, and the like so that your computer-readable, variable-width format is not influenced AT ALL by mobile device needs
      • this would preclude limiting signatures, too, since you could just eliminate them in mobile format
      • you could also eliminate avatars
      • eliminate ROTM logos (replace with text if you want to keep them?)
      • eliminate Gold/Platinum Contributor logos
      • eliminate any other space-eating graphics that mobile readers don't need
    • Cease compression of photos to lossy, sub-100kb sizes and permit them to exist in 1-2MB sizes to maintain detail levels of uploaded photos. Sub-100kb .jpg sizes are products of the 90's. 1-2MB images sizes are products of the early 2000's. 8-16MB image sizes are products of the last few years. I feel it's reasonable to suggest we move into the last decade in terms of image quality...
    • Reduce ads for Gold Contributors as incentive to be one
    • Eliminate ads for Platinum Contributors as incentive to be one
    • Give Moderators Platinum Contributor status gratis as a 'thank you' for their contribution which is made with time/effort and not necessarily with money

Note:
    I'm personally frustrated with the steady talk of reducing signature sizes since people who do not want to see them can already turn off the display of them in their profile options. (I don't like avatars so I turned those off. Instead of complaining about needing to limit them in some way I just use the tools at hand.) Likewise, if they don't want to see certain users' signatures they can block those users.

It seems strange to me to reduce functionality for all users when a relatively small number of people who complain about signature sizes already have tools in their hands to reduce what they see, themselves, without impacting anyone else ... and simply elect not to use them or don't bother to learn about their options.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

i agree with most everything here!

also, bring back chat!

Alex
  8. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 New Member

I would agree with other posters i.e color scheme and mobile format. Haven't been on here long enough to get to use the chat feature, but can see it would be helpful.

If enough people want the color scheme changed, maybe make their own page be customizable? But I like it the way it is.
  9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

I am also for the reduction/ommision of ads depending on level of contribution. I think it would help me on my work computer (I know that I am only one of a large group).
    Chat would be beneficial also.
    A mobile format would be nice since most of my time on the net is done on my Android phone.
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Ok, this is good stuff. Keep it coming.