OPEN DISCUSSION - Updating GMTC layout, theme, front-page and more

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Jan 30, 2013.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That sounds like a plan, Steve.
  2. donyms

donyms New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I agree with everything Surreal said in his post but would like to add that it would be nice to be able to customize my profile again. I had it looking great after working on it awhile and then bam, it was changed back to default and all my time spent was wasted. Also, I am a contributor because I like the site, the people and the info but I think we should not have to see Dodge ads or Toyota ads or any for that matter if you are a platinum contributor. :grrrrrr:
  3. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos New Member 100 Posts

So far I don't really have too many change suggestions. I do agree with [MENTION=33253]donyms[/MENTION] about the adds. Kinda odd to see advertisements for non GM branded vehicles. Don't mind the parts adds, but I could do without seeing an add for Ford and Dodge. Apparently I'm somewhat unique in my interest in a blog replacement. Steve had informed me why we had to remove the blog feature, but I'd still like to be able to report on add ons and longevity of my vehicle. Only thing left for my few blogging brethren is to open up a forum thread. Although where to place such a thread is lost on me.
  4. SurrealOne

Why not place your updates in your garage ... complete with photos and such? I've seen a few people do this to good effect, already...
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Or do what me and others do, start a thread for each major mod or project you do so you can showcase it and people can comment on it. Did that with my light bar project.
  6. SurrealOne

Some projects do warrant that. Smaller ones, tend not to. I get the sense he wants it all in one easy-to-find-and-consume place, though. Right now, that'd be one's garage...

On a different topic, a layout change making thread dates more prominent might be worthwhile. We still have folks resurrecting threads that have been dead for 3-5 years ... responding to/quoting posters that haven't logged in for more than a year as if they are still active and in need of an answer. I run across a few of these a week, on average. I know the mods come across them, too. It's a time sink ... for the poster who responds/replies to someone who isn't active/around anymore AND for people who read those threads. Some better date display/handling to prevent this sort of thing might save people time. (This, of course, assumes the administration of GMTC values other people's time. I'm hoping that's a fair and valid assumption. :))