1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Operation Overthrow! Unleaded Gas for $1.35/gal

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by TURBO2, May 27, 2011.

1. TURBO2

TURBO2 New Member

My goal is to get regular unleaded fuel down to about $1.35/gallon (where it should have been all along). Lets see how much support everybody in the Truck community can get from friends and relatives to make this work. Information is located at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7yJrqRjbDU :money:

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I'm in!! This will work IF everybody sticks with it & IF everybody sends it on in email to everybody on their list.
  3. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I'm down. I only fill up at Sunoco anyway :glasses:
  4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Which gas stations are owned by exxon??
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Exxon / Mobil
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

It's a nice thought but oil/gas is purchased on the futures market and it's being manipulated by traders. That's the main cause, it's really way beyond supply and demand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculation
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If there was just 1 day that everyone in The United States would stay home and not drive it would put a hurt on the oil companies and get the speculators attention.
  8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

It wouldn't work if we stopped driving for a day or even a month STB, cuz the oil companies have enough money to carry them over for longer than that.
    What that link is talking about is like a price war. Start with one company & get them to drop their price & that forces others to follow suit. I know a few years ago when Hugo Chavez was being such an ass & everybody boycotted Citgo, he got so worried he changed the name of his company to bring back business, but I don't know how much it hurt him. I don't know about the futures trading.
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yea it would get the speculators attention but the reality of the situation is we've all become so dependent on fossil fuel the speculators and oil companies could wait us out, most people would either stock up on fuel ahead of time and spike the price or cheat and buy during the boycott in the end it wont achieve much unless we had an alternative source of fuel.
    Many of us drive for a living and have no choice but to fuel up our trucks on a daily basis and if your using a company card sometimes you have no choice about who you buy fuel from.
    I was trying to find a news story I recently read about the Senate attempting to control the wild swings caused by Oil Speculators, there is goverment concern about the issue but unfortunately like everything else the goverment gets involved in if it isnt already to late it'll be to little, to late, to ineffective, and followed by some sort of hand out to the oil companies to help them regain whatever they felt they lost by unfair practices, in the end we the people will end up screwed again.
    Google Oil Speculators you get over 10 million hits but no real action.