1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Opinion of 5.3 after first tow

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by carbon black, Jun 29, 2012.

1. carbon black

carbon black Member

Just returned from a 5,000 km (3,100 mile) little vacation across the Canadian Prairie Provinces and into the outer edges of the Canadian Rockies with my new truck. During this trip, I was comparing the performance of my NEW truck to my OLD truck (2004 Nissan Titan - 5.6L). Both trucks came with the full factory installed towing packages. 95% of this trip, my truck was towing a 5,500 lb travel trailer.
    During the entire trip, I used the Manual mode of the transmission - primarily in 5th gear.
    The biggest thing that I noticed between the two trucks was that the Titan's torque came into play at a lower RPM than the Sierra's. At 1,500 RPM the Titan had the power to pull whereas with the Sierra anything lower than 2,500 RPM's, the truck was very sluggish.
    With the Sierra, once I got used to the proper matchup between RPM's and gear's - performed satisfactory. To make things perform well, I was constantly manually shifting gears whereas with the Titan this wasn't really necessary (majority of the time).

True, I did miss the Titan's torque, manually shifting the Sierra enhanced its performance and torque performance. Average MPG for this trip was 13 (Imperial gallon) or 10.8 (US gallon)

Anyway (without voiding factory warranty) is there anything that one can do to improve low-end torque ???
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Have the dealership put in shorter gears...
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yep new gears.
    You could start adding an exhaust and intake system along with a Tuner, but in the end you'll finally realize the gear ratio will get you the best bang for the buck.
  4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Let me know if the dealership will do this for you and keep your warranty.. The dealership I took mine to would not change the gears for me even if I paid and keep the factory warranty.
  5. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Man that's some BS. The dealerships in your area sucks. My dealership is so cool. They don't mind me putting a tuner on my truck, change gears, or just about anything I want to do.
  6. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

They dont care if I do that stuff either, They just told me that they were not going to do it and if I have it done those parts or anything to do with those parts fail its not covered. But they said that they dont care what I do to my truck.