1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Opinion of Truck Bed Caps

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by AMac, Feb 3, 2012.

1. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I searched the forum for people's thoughts on truck bed caps and didn't find anything so here goes.
    I just purchased a 2011 Chevy SIlverado 1500 5.3 V8 w/7500 miles. The previous owner put a truck Century Ultra Series cap in it. He had it painted using the paint code of the truck so it matches perfectly. Usually I only see caps on trucks whose owners are say...over 30 :)
    Well I'm under 30 and personally I think I kind of like it. It lines up nicely with the body of the truck and its height is not above cab height. I also think it makes the truck look bigger and adds a more functionality. Yes I could throw an air mattress in it for camping, but now I can't put my ATV in the bed of my truck. I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure the handle bars are above cab height. A friend of mine who isn't a "truck cap" kind of guy said he thought it looked good. As I add mods to my truck I'm watching how the cap's style fits into my desired style for the truck (which I haven't figured out yet but am pretty sure I'm looking to black it out more than I am to bling it out w/ chrome).

Overall what are your thoughts, does it look horrible or do you think it has potential? I'm also wondering if I could find any damage upon removal.
    Truck Cap.jpg
  2. dadngt

dadngt Rockstar 100 Posts

I wouldn't mind having one for the extra utility or camping abilitys but I probably wouldn't leave it on all the time. Looks good on your truck!
  3. AMac

Thanks dadngt. The only thing about "not leaving it on all the time" is that it weighs about 100+ lbs. I would need an additional person to help take it off and storage is another issue. It's not like a truxedo fold away tonneau cover that I could take off when I wanted
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  4. AMac

I was able to do some photoshop to get a better feel of how the truck would look. I would of course put some kind of tonneau cover on.

2.17.12_2.jpg

Truck without Cap.jpg
  5. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I'm also under 30 and love the looks of caps. As for hauling an ATV, you can find cheap trailers. I like being able to put my dogs in the bed of the truck and not worry about them jumping out and also being able to haul people without the dogs all over them or dog hair all over the interior, AND being able to have a dry place for my gear on unpredictable Montana weather. I don't think a topper makes a truck look like a 100 year old guy drives it, but I know some do.
  6. ShadowRejects

ShadowRejects Rockstar 100 Posts

honestly it looks good. i always called them campers but who cares lol. i like it. i would love to have one for my silverado just for the looks and so i can use it to haul my crap during rainy weather. i say its a keeper!
  7. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I'm not big on caps, but it does look good on your truck AMac. Actually, the truck kinda looks naked in the pic without the cap. My vote would be to keep it :great:
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow that's cool. Go back and forth between to two of them and it's like a now-you-see-it / now-you-don't.

I've had the "truck bed caps" or "canopy" or "topper" on trucks in the past before. Usually I see them on trucks where people have to use them to store larger valuables, but still need the flexibility of a truck and take it off from time to time. I guess the removal for 100lbs isn't something I would even blink at as I'd just either he-man it off or would work some type of system where I could back-up and store it when I need to haul something bigger.

9. dadngt

dadngt Rockstar 100 Posts

Steve I was thinking if I had a topper on my truck that someone as crazy as myself would have some kinda winch system mounted to the ceiling in my garage & just store it up there Kinda like those bike lifts but alot tougher lol
  10. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

OK, I'm over 30,:money: over 40:neutral: and almost @50:great:. I like a hard trifold Tonneau covers. We go camping with the truck and the tonneau works fine. I think it is totally personal preference, or what you need for work or play. For a cap I do not like the ones that step up an additional 6 to 8 inches at the back, the style on your truck [MENTION=53354]AMac[/MENTION] (same lines of the truck) works. That would be my preference.
    I had a cap on my first truck and ended up taking it off! Left it off! I prefer the folding vs. the solid as they are easy to fold or remove and store to have full access to the box. I've seen people with the solid tonneau and have something in the box and can't close it, looks funny IMHO.
    There shouldn't be ant damage to see as the rugger seal should be good. I has the bed rails coated with linex so no worries and you could do that if you had damage if you planned on a spray in bed liner.